Drilling advice?

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, INVERTO Silver Tech Universal Twin LNB 0.2, Technomate 80cm mesh dish
My Location
BRISTOL
Chaps.
I want to wire my mini sky dish to the room upstairs, i have included a picture.
the dish is in the yellow circle.
the green is basically showing where i want it wired to as i have a box on that room ready to go by the window.

problem is the wall has those dodgy tiles....

what would you guys suggest me doing?

cheers

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 58

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You may be able to lift one of the tiles out, although often they are all nailed, then drill from outside in. Or you can actually drill through wall tile using a sharp tile drill and no hammer. You can also drill very carefully from inside until hitting the tile hanging, push the cable out and manipulate it with a bit of wire to bring it out from under a tile.

Alternatively, I've managed to drill at an angle through the brick pier on the side to come out in the corner of the internal wall, ot try it the other way around, you are more likely to blow the brick if doing it inside out.

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ariva, Samsung and Comag PVR 2 100CL
3 dishes, 80cm, 100cm, 140cm
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
What about the bricks holding the down gutter pipe?. Personally I would rather not touch them because they would be difficult to repair when you remove the dish. Behind the tiles are wooden struts. However they do not tend to be very strong. You could remove a section of the tiled front, and reinforce the wooden struts below so they are able to hold the dish. You would then have to retile around the dish support with proper waterproof insulation, or you´ll get water in the house when it rains. A hell of a job just to fix a dish.
So on the whole drill into the brick work. Check the bricks are sound.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
We are only looking at feeding a cable in Juan69, not mounting a dish.

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
That´s a relief. I take it the windows are PVC, aluminum and not wood, so I would go for drilling through a tile, the problem will be feeding the cable through with minimum damage to the interior wall. I would look at drilling close to the window frame, a corner maybe. A detector will be handy here to check on any obstacles behind the tiles.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Just remembered, the last time I did one of these, I managed to lift the lead flashing under the window, easily removed a couple of tiles and then drilled from the inside, cable pushed through, tiles replaced and nailed, flashing returned, worked well.

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
Further to above, might be better to drill from inside out, maybe close to window frame, corner maybe. Drill slowly with someone on the outside to check probable exit point. Again consider a surface detector for obstructions.

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
rolfw said:
Just remembered, the last time I did one of these, I managed to lift the lead flashing under the window, easily remove a couple of tiles and then drill from the inside, cable pushed through, tiles replaced and nailed, flashing returned, worked well.

We were writing at the same time and you beat me to it. That seems the best answer to me. Good luck. Wish I were there.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Another option if you have a wardrobe or something to hide the cable behind inside, would be to go up through the soffet into the the loft, and then back down again inside.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
That's probably how I would do it, if I wasn't as good drilling through brickwork/water/gas pipes. ;)

One issue can be the older style crescent coving, which makes coming into the room less neat than it could be.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, INVERTO Silver Tech Universal Twin LNB 0.2, Technomate 80cm mesh dish
My Location
BRISTOL
thanks for great tips, i will be looking at this thread at the weekend, cheers again