DSAT FTA ready for going pear-shaped ?

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
In this week's trade mag 'Broadcast' (I don't subscribe so don't have access to full story).

Satellite viewers may lose ITV

Up to a million viewers, who watch the main public
service broadcasters on satellite but do not take a Sky
package, could be frozen out of ITV, Channel 4 and Five
by the end of the year

So, thanks to the British Bulldog Corp (BBC) un-necessarily starting its own ball rolling - many more viewers and ex-pats across europe might have to suffer yet more cack-handed decisions by (IMHO) selfish broadcaster's by the year's end.

UK TV get's better by the day doesn't it? ) (-red

Regards,

Mark.

Expat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD Freesat
Gibertini 150 cm dish for Astra 2D.
Technomate TM-1500 CI+ viewing Astra 2, Astra 1 and Hotbird
Sky receiver for FTV channels.
My Location
Copenhagen - Denmark
I could not agree more, the BBC should have developed their own system before Sky, then they could call the shots. They didn't, so it is time for them to shut up & PAY UP!

dvart

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have this nasty feeling that we are going to end up with the worst of all possible worlds. The BBC encrypted AND on Astra 2d.
Remember they have already negotiated a contract with Astra to use 2d and this is a separate issue from encryption, the supply of cards and presence on the EPG.

Does anyone have any firm information about 2d reception in Berlin ?

I read in another forum that a 1.2 metre dish could get a 30 percent quality reading, but surely this isn't enough ?

I am only allowed to hang dish on the wall outside my kitchen window, I don't think I'm allowed on the roof.
I would think anything much larger than 1 metre would cause the house to take off ............

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Originally posted by dvart
I have this nasty feeling that we are going to end up with the worst of all possible worlds. The BBC encrypted AND on Astra 2d.
Remember they have already negotiated a contract with Astra to use 2d and this is a separate issue from encryption, the supply of cards and presence on the EPG.

Astra haven't published a Press Release. Astra is normally quite keen on this kind of PR.

Does anyone have any firm information about 2d reception in Berlin ?

No.

I read in another forum that a 1.2 metre dish could get a 30 percent quality reading, but surely this isn't enough ?

We are probably thinking of the same person. I understand that Mark lives in Charlottenburg (10625/27 Berlin) and does, indeed, have a 125cm dish. He says that it works for most of the time.

I am only allowed to hang dish on the wall outside my kitchen window, I don't think I'm allowed on the roof.

Ask the Hausmeister nicely :-) If your not german, there is a law that allows foreigner's to have a satellite dish (and seemingly as big as you need). I think the owner of the house would rather have a large dish located on the roof than it hanging from your kitchen window :-)

You can get a 125cm dish and roof stand for about €160,00

.http://www.satberlin.de/onlineshop/index.html

I would think anything much larger than 1 metre would cause the house to take off ............

and maybe landing in, say, Belgium - where we wouldn't have this problem! Make it a two metre dish!

Have Fun,

Mark