Dutch CanalDigitaal stopped supporting IRDETO without any notice => Mediaguard3????

Mediaguard3

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra - Common Interface Irdeto Smartcard
My Location
Netherland
I am looking for other unfortunates who also were told that IRDETO would be support until 1/9/2009, but who nevertheless found themselfs without any channels since about the 17/18th of novembre 2008. Apparent cause: Mediaguard 3 "test", leaving many households in the same situation.

After looking for more information on Internet, we find ourselfs without any other solution then to buy a whole new receiver (independent whether this might be a set-top box, common interface or whatever) FROM CanalDigitaal AND ONLY certified providers 'O'-red. And obviously: support for the equipment might be stopped whenever CanalDigitaal is pleased, even worse they have done this already with some equipment sold this year 2008. We can also not find any other provider/ manufaturer who sells equipment with Mediaguard 3, so it seems to be totally proprietory.

Impact:
It looks like an important line of business of CanalDigitaal is selling new equipment in an absolute totalitarian way. F.e. a common interface module + smartcard costs 135€, it cost us last year 40€ when NOT buying through Canal Digitaal! Clients are absolutely unprotected and there is no other distributor of not even the activation of the free Dutch channels.

What should be done:
1) Actually we should just cancel inmediately the membership, but there is no-one else to not even support with the free channels via satellite.
2) Generate as much noise as you can, requesting firmly for a protection of our investment! we should be able to live with any equipment during at least 5 years. Protest! :-Nooo
3) Send eMail to Customer Care CanalDigitaal (cross your fingers and hope that their eMail facility does not error our) and copy info @ radar.nl
4) If anyone has a solution to this? Please notice with clearly tagged info.

Thanks!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
All the Dutch channels on 19E are still carrying Irdeto according to my Dreambox.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
there does seem to be a problem with some brands of uncertified receivers, due to the introduction of multiple ID's, but it's the first time I've read that Irdeto receivers have been affected by this.
I have not read anything either about CD abandoning the Irdeto encryption, although CD has said in the past that new channels would no longer be encrypted with it.
So I'm with Analoguesat, I think you're yelling a bit prematurely ....

jphili

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Twin monoblock and twin LNB on 80cm transparant dish rigged for twin reception from HB Astra 1 and 2 + TopField TF 7700 HDPVR + TwinHan VisionDTV
My Location
BE
CanalDigitaal is officially starting the process to migrate to MediaGuard3.
It is starting this year with only issueing new MG3 cards, and will start a step by step program of card swaps for existing subscribers in Q1 2009.
No cutoff date has been announced and it is expected the process will take the whole of 2009.
More info in this Dutch article:

www . satellitemagazine .com/index.php?action=pagina&id=49&id2=1966&title=CanalDigitaal+schakelt+definitief+over+naar+Mediaguard+3+codering

And as to no notice, this does come from the official CanalDigitaal Satellite Magazine