DVB-T Combiner with 3x Diseqc Switches

esto

Member
My Satellite Setup
Kathrein uas 912
My Location
CE
I would like to have 3x quad LNB's fed to 3x separate Diseqc switches with the output of each Diseqc going directly to a receiver. I would like to inject a DVB-T signal on top of that, and split the signal again at the receiver. Would it be possible to do it as per the sketch I attached?

I'm looking at a combiner like this Axing:
_http://www.voelkner.de/products/12809/Axing-Swe-4-01-4-Fach-Einspeiseweiche.html

Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • Combiner-sketch.webp
    Combiner-sketch.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 108
You probably need to be looking at multiswitches. As an example, a 5x8 switch would allow you to connect 1 satellite plus 1 terrestrial signal from up to 8 receivers. The 4 inputs, though are usually from a quattro LNB not a quad. A quatro has 4 connections; each one dedicated to 1 band and polarity, so you would have Low band H, Low band V, High band H and High band V. Scaling up there are 9x8 - 2 satellites, etc. Check Fleabay for satellite multiswitch
 
There are some multiswitches which will work with both quads and quattros. Look for quad compatibilty or Q2 in the description.
 
Just three diplexers after the DiSEqC switches should do it, you will of course need to split your aerial signal three ways to insert in the Diplexers. _http://www.satelliteandaerialsupplies.com/product/?s=optima-dst-masthead-diplexer-tv-and-satellite-combiner-new
 
pgh13 said:
You probably need to be looking at multiswitches.
I thought about a multi-switch, but for some reason decided to so with just Diseqc switches (seemed cheaper and easier). I won't ever have more than 3 TV's, and I was thinking a multi-switch might be overkill.

rolfw said:
Just three diplexers after the DiSEqC switches should do it, you will of course need to split your aerial signal three ways to insert in the Diplexers. _http://www.satelliteandaerialsupplies.com/product/?s=optima-dst-masthead-diplexer-tv-and-satellite-combiner-new
Won't the diagram I posted in my original post work? If I need 3 Diseqc switches, 3 diplexers and a splitter, then it starts looking like a messy solution, in that case I might start to think about the multi-switch just to have one box instead of 7.
 
Why is everyone talking about multiswitches when they aren't needed :confused:

You would just need 3x UHF/SAT diplexers added before the diseqc switch (receiver side ) exactly as rolf said :D
 
nanochickin said:
Why is everyone talking about multiswitches when they aren't needed :confused:

You would just need 3 combiners added before the diseqc switch (receiver side ) exactly as rolf said :D
Just to clarify, when you say "before the diseqc switch", do you mean:

TV----Diseqc---combiner----LNB

...or do you mean:

TV-----combiner----Diseqc----LNB

Does it make a difference? And if yes, why?
 
No such thing as a combiner which will take 3 separate DiSEqC feeds and insert UHF.You need to replace it with three diplexers.
 

Attachments

  • Combiner-sketch-2.webp
    Combiner-sketch-2.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 82
rolfw said:
No such thing as a combiner which will take 3 separate DiSEqC feeds and insert UHF.You need to replace it with three diplexers.
Thanks Rolf. I found this 5/4 combiner, but it shows it working with one quad-LNB going to 4 receivers, but without Diseqc. If it was 4 Diseqc feeds coming in, it won't work then? Would it affect (ie: block) the 22khz switching tones?

_http://www.emp-centauri.cz/products.php?id_kateg=5&id_pkateg=22&id=207
 

Attachments

  • emp.webp
    emp.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 73
I'm very sorry and stand corrected, not seen one of these before.

The specification would indicate that it would be OK for the setup you propose.

"Technical Specifications
The product is a combiner in the weatherproof housing for combining of
terrestrial signals to satellite signals from quad convertor for 4 users.
Satellite inputs transmit DC voltage, 22 kHz and DiSEqC commands,
terrestrial input is DC blocked."
 
Ok, I think I found my solution then! Thanks to everyone for the feedbacks :-thumb1
 
That's new to me. I remember there used to be a quad which had a terrestrial TV input - that would have solved your problems at a stroke.
 
An update: I have did it with just a simple combiner on each end: one combining the Terrestrial and SAT on the antenna side into one cable, and then the same type combiner by the TV to split the signals from one cable into two.

I have a Finlux TV that has DVB-T/C/S built into it, so I have both the Terrestrial connector and SAT connector right on the TV.

But I can't get both signals to work. If I connect both the SAT and Terr. cables, somehow the SAT over-rides the Terr signal. If I disconnect the SAT cable, then I get the Terr signal.

Do I need some other thing in the path, like a DC blocker or something? Is the DiseqC switching affecting something?
 
I did some searching, and it's exactly the same as this guys problem (except I never had it working):
_http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=83&topicid=38610

Is it a short in the cable somewhere?
 
Firstly, the other post says that they have used a diplexer to combune signals. This is NOT the same as your simple splitter. As has been said several times you cannot expect to "simply" combine signals and everything to work as it should.

At the very least you need a diplexer at the top and bottom to combine and then split the signals.

You MAY get it to work after a fashion if you use a splitter with DC pass through on one port, with the DC going to the satellite inlet on the TV and to the satellite dish at the top but there will be much more signal loss than using a diplexer so, again, this may not work.
 
Thanks for the reply Paul. Just to clarify, I am using this typical "combiner" which is I think typical for combining SAT and Terr. signals on one cable:
_http://www.ebay.com/itm/360384508188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I have one by the antennas to combine the SAT+Terr., and then another by my TV to split the signals. Is this the correct set up?
The cable run is about 30m, the signal on the Terr. is about 50% and SAT maybe 60%.
The SAT signal always works, it's just the Terr. signal that gets cut out. If I remove the SAT cable from my TV, then suddenly the Terr signal works.
I put an in-line (passive) amp (14dB) but that had no effect at all.
 
That is the simple splitter that won't work as you want it. It passes DC through all ports. Basically the vendor is being economical with the truth about it being suitable for satellite.

If you put satellite diplexer in as a search item then you will come up with two types. The simple splitter but with a DC pass through on one port only, E.G. Ebay 110721355373, and the better type such as Ebay 280813015103 which can be used externally.
 
Oh, so the problem is that this "combiner" that I bought passes DC on the Terrestrial port, and is causing some kind of grounding issue with the DC voltage going from the SAT receiver to the LNB's? Arrggghhh. So what exactly is this combiner used for then?

I have a DC-blocker like this in my parts-box:
_http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/940483/SZU-14-DC-blocker

If I stuck that on the Terrestrial antenna port, would that solve my problem?
Thanks again for pointing this issue out to me, when I bought the "combiner" I saw SAT and Terr. inputs and a common out, so I assumed this was the part to do the job, but it seems not exactly...grrrrr....
 
That might do the job but you will probably need one at the top and the bottom to "steer" the DC the right way.
 
Thanks again. Actually, I just ordered some of these, cheaper and easier than messing with the DC-blocker (I only have 1 DC-blocker anyway).

_http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/diplexer_holland_X1.htm
 
Back
Top