"Earth-like" planet found.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
(this might be already posted, somewhere, if so then sorry but I missed it!).

see: www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/25/AR2006012502231.html .

Previously, planets in other solar systems have been found by measuring a star's "wobble", through spectroscopic analysis (an amazing enough achievemnt!).
But, this limited resolution to finding "Jupiter size" giant planets, not "good candidates" for life. Now, it seems, we can look for "earth size" ones as well!

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
I think we could find a "few" out there:D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Bennett, another Planet researcher, added that there will be more small planets to come. Microlensing has so far detected three exoplanets -- two giants and OGLE-2005-BLG-390Lb -- and "higher-mass planets are more easy to discover," he said. So if scientists have already found a small one, "these must be substantially more common."

Hmmm, not really a scientific conclusion.

28000 light years away to confirm an object a mere 15,000 miles in diameter, quite some feat.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
if im the first to move to one to live with my family, can i take my setup so i can still watch Premiership footy :)

might need a BIG dish though lol

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Sorry Red Devil, most other planets are outside the transponder's "footprint", but try contacting a local cable company!

Seriously, though, it's about 150 years since Comte said we'd never know what stars are made of! More recently, just a few years ago finding any extra solar planets would have been imposssible. And now earth sized ones! I thought that would come from special infra red booms on satellites, but now it can be done from earth, where conditions allow.

This method might allow a reasonable idea of the galactic distribution of earth size plannets. But, dammit, we still won't know if any have life on them.

Whatever one's religious or philosophical beliefs, it does look as though life arises through "blind mechanics", with a very low probability. But, if the Panspermia theory is true, this only need happen once, and life could then be quite common.

( www.thespectroscopynet.com/educational/Dawkins.htm ).

PS, I'm not a fan of Richard Dawkins, that link was just to explain Comte!

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Speaking of life on other planets (maybe)

if it was ever found, do you think it would be hushed up, or do you think it would be made public and obviously be big news worldwide?

if its the first option.... then maybe it HAS already been found??? we would never know...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Channel Hopper said:
28000 light years away to confirm an object a mere 15,000 miles in diameter, quite some feat.

With a few minutes to kill

The distances involved in spotting that planet are truly mind boggling

To 'see' an earth sized planet from 28,000 light years away, is similar to noticing a pound coin at a distance of....

....wait for it .....

200 million miles :eek:

(must be the Scottish blood in them):D

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
RedDevil_UK said:
Speaking of life on other planets (maybe)

if it was ever found, do you think it would be hushed up, or do you think it would be made public and obviously be big news worldwide?

if its the first option.... then maybe it HAS already been found??? we would never know...

Well, as Enrico Fermi said (about ETs), "where is everybody"?

The various SETI searches etc have been well publicised, NASA uses "possible life on Mars" to get funds, and so on, so no I don't think there would be any chance of hushing it up. Supposing an ET spaceship landed, or even if we just found a radio signal, exactly how (and why!) would this be kept secret?
But, little chance of that, as we've been looking seriously for quite a while now, and there's nothing.