Eat, Sleep, Work, Consume, Die

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
From Wired...

Today, sitting at home, you can dispatch an e-mail to your brother in another country - he'll be able to read within minutes. Or you can call him and leave a message. Heck, if you use text messaging, you'll be chatting almost instantaneously.

On balance, any of those are probably a better alternative to the mail. Hey, if I miss my brother it's kind of nice to be able to get hold of him - now.

But that's the point. My expectations have been raised to this ridiculous level by technology running amok through my heretofore-bucolic existence. I used to be a laid-back guy. Now I'm impatient. I chafe. I get irritable when my gratification isn't instantaneous. And it isn't just me. The whole world is bitchier these days.

I'm old enough to remember when waiting a few days for a letter to arrive was standard operating procedure, even in the bare-knuckles business world. I recall a time without answering machines, when you just had to keep calling back on your rotary phone until someone picked up. (Which had the unintended benefit of allowing you to reconsider whether the original call was even worth making in the first place.) The world moved at a more leisurely pace and, humanistically speaking, we were all the better for it.

Just because technology makes it possible for us to work 10 times faster than we used to doesn't mean we should do it. The body may be able to withstand the strain - for a while - but the spirit isn't meant to flail away uselessly on the commercial gerbil (mamster) wheel. The boys in corporate don't want you to hear this because the more they can suck out of you, the lower their costs and the higher their profit margin. And profit is god, after all. (Genuflect here, if you must.)

But what's good for them isn't necessarily good for you, no matter how much filthy lucre they throw your way.

But stock-market capitalism is today's coin of the realm, consumerism its handmaiden, and technology is the great enabler. You think technology benefits you because it gives you an easier row to hoe? Boll*cks. The ease it provides is illusory. It has trapped you, made you a slave to things you don't even need but suddenly can't live without. So you rot in a cubicle trying to get the money to get the stuff, when you should be out walking in a meadow or wooing a lover or writing a song.

Utopian claptrap, you sneer. So you put nose to grindstone, your life ebbing as you accumulate ... what?

Look around. Our collective humanity is dying a little more every day. Technology is killing life on the street - the public commons, if you please. Chat rooms, text messaging, IM are all, technically, forms of communication. But when they replace yakking over the back fence, or sitting huggermugger at the bar or simply walking with a friend - as they have for an increasing number of people in "advanced" societies - then meaningful human contact is lost. Ease of use is small compensation.

The street suffers in other ways, too. Where you used to buy books from your local bookseller, you now give your money (by credit card, with usurious interest rates) to Amazon.com. Where you used to have a car boot sale, you now flog your detritus on craigslist and ebay. Almost anything you used to buy from a butcher or druggist or florist you can now get online. Handy as hell, to be sure, and nothing touched by human hands. But little shops lose business and close, to be replaced, if at all, by cookie-cutter chain stores selling One Size Fits All. The corporations have got you right where they want you.

Is this the world you want to inhabit? Really?

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90 cm dish + two LNB 13/19 E
90 cm dish + one LNB 30 W
Humax 5400 .. Oh and cable for Mrs Marts (smilie here)
My Location
Gozo - Malta
Grumble grumble grumble. Grumpy old men. Grumpy old ladies, Bloody grumpy ole Marts. A nation of grumblers we have become :(

Take a look at what someone on an American geek forum said of myself ... ... However you may not be aware that when not running the mean streets of Hoageys alley with Choo Choo and Fancy Fancy you are a sage and wise scholar of international renown and considered to be probably the primary exponent of Existential neo classical theosophy and Preplatonic Ethics ... Bloody fools ({})

Off to bed now. Good night all O-Ha

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Work smarter, not harder. Technology is a tool not an end in itself

In the same way that today's news is tomorrow's chip wrappers (misquoted, you know what I mean)... surely technology is the same. Gas powered light bulbs, electricty, the phone, the tv, telegrams....

I saw Craigslist a few years back and the UK still has nothing as good.

Anyway, I digress, badly (or is that well?)

:)

J

Jeff_19341

I just cannot understand you youngstersO-Ha . Take life a day at a time, regain your laid back attitude, make the most of what you have:D . Let the other bloke do the worrying and rushing about, he's the one to have a coronary (like wot i did :-doh! ).
Tomorrow is another day, manyana? Now is the start of the rest of your life, enjoy it, nobody can tell you if you will have another one.
Life is great, just look around you and see those that are worse off than you and be gratefull.
Here endeth my lesson to you all ;) ;) .

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
mhku said:
I saw Craigslist a few years back and the UK still has nothing as good.

They now cover lots of UK cities...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Even though I hate getting under the car to repair the fuel pump / line/ filter when it goes wrong, I would rather trust myself to do it, (and be prepared to look in the manual when I cant find which way the circlip/ wiring loom should go), than give it to the next new garage on the block.

Some corporate companies are of course on the way to success through genuine hard work, but the vast majority reap the benefits from disecting and conquering the customers wishes, offering a pittance on the original request.

Always ask a friend first, if you still have some.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
I did find a very good way out of all this stress:D

THE off button

I use it often:cool:

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
One day everything will end anyway so why hurry?

One thing that annoys me very much is the mobile phone, on work and in private, i nearly freaks out with the mobile phone as you are always reachable and can never relax.

I get very stressed by it.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
Likvid said:
One day everything will end anyway so why hurry?

One thing that annoys me very much is the mobile phone, on work and in private, i nearly freaks out with the mobile phone as you are always reachable and can never relax.

I get very stressed by it.

:mad: Bloody TV adverts, why are they so loud? Don't they realise many simply press the mute button and ignore the ad.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
JuMbuCk said:
I just cannot understand you youngstersO-Ha . Take life a day at a time, regain your laid back attitude, make the most of what you have:D . Let the other bloke do the worrying and rushing about, he's the one to have a coronary (like wot i did :-doh! ).
Tomorrow is another day, manyana? Now is the start of the rest of your life, enjoy it, nobody can tell you if you will have another one.
Life is great, just look around you and see those that are worse off than you and be gratefull.
Here endeth my lesson to you all ;) ;) .

:D To true but it takes age and a few knocks in life to make people appreciate the slower side. Tell a youngster that even s_x gets boring as you get older and they think youve lost it. I often find reading the news paper is just as satisfying.:D

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
TJExcalibur said:
Tell a youngster that even s_x gets boring as you get older and they think youve lost it. I often find reading the news paper is just as satisfying.

Name that newspaper!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
TJExcalibur said:
I often find reading the news paper is just as satisfying.:D

I found the rustling of paper put the other half off .