Echostar & Sky Digital as Decoder

keefy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hope someone can help me, please.

I have an Echostar AD3600IP satelite receiver and a standard Sky Goodmans Receiver.

I can channel the Digibox through the Echostar as it does have a loop. That way I can move the dish. Then I have to turn it off to receive Sky.

What I am looking for is help/advice about the potential use of the Digibox as a decoder, in the same way that D2Mac systems were used previously.

The Echostar is a much better front end and that way I can use the Echostar solely as my satelite receiver.

Any other thoughts or suggestions anyone has will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Keith

kungpo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 8082ci, Matrix Reloaded, Aston Cam 1.5, Black ICE. Metronic DisEQC Motor, 80cm Dish, Monoblock LNB.
Dynamite USB, Intel P4 3.0Ghz, Intel Cel 3.06Ghz
My Location
Slough
Hi Keith,

Unfortunately $ky is a proprietry system, so without the Digibox, you will only be able to get the free-to-air channels on the Echostar, such as BBC etc. I beleive there may, at some time in the future, be a CA module with the Sky technology in it, but that is probably some way off yet.

You may find it simpler to have a separate dish for $ky, and keep the two systems separate (which is what I have done).

keefy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks for the comment and suggestion - an alternative was to use a dual feed LNB to feed the boxes in the same way you describe. There must be a way to use the digibox as a decoder perhaps with some tinkering - I just don't know what tinkering to do!

kungpo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 8082ci, Matrix Reloaded, Aston Cam 1.5, Black ICE. Metronic DisEQC Motor, 80cm Dish, Monoblock LNB.
Dynamite USB, Intel P4 3.0Ghz, Intel Cel 3.06Ghz
My Location
Slough
Dual LNB is a good idea, but there isn't that much on 28.2 thats worth getting. What do you want to get from the Digibox that you can't get from the Echostar? If you have something like a Matrix or Dragon cam you should be able to get quite a few channels from 19.2E and 13E, if you get a monoblock LNB.

keefy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have a motorised dish, so have been using those sats and Thor. Don't want 2 dishes on the wall. Just looking for a single interface with access to UK programs. No issues about using the sky card, so obviously best option would be a videocrypt cam, if and when they become available. Have the in built Viaccess and a Seca cam - one slot spare. Suppose a reprogramable one would be best, with multi encryption.