`elvis` seems to be a dirty word

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
I trundled off to `Bowlers` in Manchester today (BIG Computer fayre in Manchester every Saturday) after being advised by MB Electronics that they have a stall there. I went to buy an Elvis off them because, call me old fashioned but, I prefer dealing face to face than buying over the net. Anyway, as MB Electronics decided not to turn up (thanks for that you to$$ers!) I had a good look round for an Elvis elsewhere. The reaction I received when enquiring about this Multi programmer varied from bewilderment to horror and I got the distinct impression that people either had never heard of them or if they had them then they were `under the counter`. I gave up & went home and spent an hour ringing every electronics and computer type store in Greater Manchester but no joy! Question for anyone who knows the answer. Why does nobody sell the damn things face to face? Does anybody know somewhere that has them? Its not that I don`t trust Internet dealers but its so much easier if you hit problems when you can actually speak to someone! Help please fellow board members.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think David, that because "Elvis" is not the real name of the programmer, only an acquired name, a lot of people still refer to it as the Multi Programmer, can't remember the correct designation.

With regard to buying it face to face, I would strongly advise that you get it from one of the main two or three dealers on the net, as they cannot afford to let anyone down, the bad publicity is too quick to follow.

I've bought a few things from computer fairs, but now only buy things thgat are not likely to need support, as the vendors can be very difficult to catch up with in some cases should something go wrong.

Rolf

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
Hello Rolf. You`re up late! My missus is away for the weekend so I`m doing some `earache` free surfing! I did ask for Elvis by its proper name but no joy! Cost £4 to get in as well! Never mind!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Perhaps they're not into the programming scene......I got mine from Divineo and was very pleased with the service. Our sponsors do the VX Multi, which is more expensive, but I believe has more potential. There is also the MultiPro at the same sort of price as the VX.

Rolf

PS. I'll suffer for being up this late come monday, I have to be up at 05:30 and it's very difficult to re-adjust :)

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
'Earache free surfing'! I've been told it exists, but never managed to experience it. You guys know something I don't.

wolsty

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
My personal solution to earache free surfing is to not have a missus, not one I would recommend for everyone though Wolsty :)

Rolf

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Well, marriage does have its up side, I must admit. My wife and I have been enjoying the condition for nearly 33 years, but I've never managed to subdue the earache part.

wolsty

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
normal service has now resumed, earache & all