Emitor Satlook Lite - digital level read-out?

A

archive10

I have been oggling the Emitor Satlook Lite as a easy, handy, small sat meter for quick setup and experimentation.
Has a relatively attractive price / functionality, it seems.
From the description, though, only BER and C/N is read out in numerical values.
It seems the signal level is merely indicated by a meter bar.

Although this is probably ok for quick set-up, I would really prefer a digital read-out to make comparisons with different LNBs, positions etc easier.

So, does the Satlook Lite support digital signal level?

I assume @Captain Jack or @Vipersan knows this instrument well, and can provide some feedback.

vma

Reaction score
Website
vma-satellite.blogspot.pt
My Satellite Setup
RX: 3 motorized DiSEqC-1.2 dishes (100cm, 110cm, 120cm) + 7 regular dishes.
Main receiver: Vu+ Duo + many others & IRD
TX: Modulators for DVB-S/C/T + Dektec Modulators
Field Meter: Emitor, KWS, Kathrein, Unaohm, Promax, Spaun, Rover Instruments, ...
My Location
Portugal
Hi,

I recommend you try buying a Satlook Micro+ second hand. Good price is around 70 Euro.

Read my blog about free upgrade to Satlook Micro G2.

Definitely better than a new Satlook Lite.

Regards,
vma

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
My Lite was awful. I hated that thing with a passion. Only used it a couple of times so can't remember the readouts.

A

archive10

My Lite was awful. I hated that thing with a passion. Only used it a couple of times so can't remember the readouts.
Ok. good feedback.
Were you more happy with the FS1?
'Coz this is what I considered as an alternative...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Although this is probably ok for quick set-up, I would really prefer a digital read-out to make comparisons with different LNBs, positions etc easier.

So, does the Satlook Lite support digital signal level?
Are you looking for true Eb/N0 ?

A

archive10

Ah, I see that I was not being clear.
No, Eb/N0 is not required. SNR is sufficient for antenna tinkering.
Eb/N0 would come into play if I were doing QA in receiver systems, particularly feed-horn designs I would think.

But really, I'm just fiddling about with consumer hardware (with the odd 2nd hand semi-pro thrown in).

So what I am looking for is signal level of digital signal, i.e. strength of signal at <frequency> in absolte output from signal source (LN:cool:.
Having a bar graph has its limits - remembering 71.2 dBuV is easier than "about so on the scale"...

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Fs1 I love. But..... it has issues with some lnbs for some reason. Like on the GI or even the Octagon C120 one, it thinks that there's a short and refuses to show any sort of signal on it. I don't know if it's to do with gain or something else but it's fine on IBU which has high gain anyway.

A

archive10

Had this strange thing in the past couple of days.
Then it all became clear why the SatLook Lite is old equipment.

Tried to align the Triax 2140 using the SatLook Lite, and the meter finds 19.2E, 16E, 10E, 9E, but not 13E.
(Which is annoying, as 13E is almost due south of me, making it really good for polar mount adjustment.)

After having established 16E and 10E and their general directions, I can see that there is a signal bump around where 13E should be, but no lock. This seems strange.
The SatLook Lite sat list had 13E reckognised by transponder 10917V.
Lyngsat says 3/4 FEC, SatLook lite said FEC 5/6.
Tried changing this - but no success.
Then tried on the 13E LNB of the T55 which I know works. No luck either.

After making a couple of other transponder entries (failed), I finally tried creating one for 10971H, and I had a lock!

Then it dawned on me, that the difference is that all the failed ones are DVB-S2, whereas 10971H is DVB-S.
By pure coincidence, 13E was the only sat in that arc region where the signature transpoder was DVB-S2.

This is not the end of the world, as it just means that mixed DVB-S/DVB-S2 must be edited for a DVB-S frequency to allow auto-detection of satellite identity, and that DVB-S2-only sats cannot be auto-ID'd (nor optimised for skew/focal point) using this meter alone.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Satlook Lite, in my opinion, is a very overrated meter. Half the time it wouldn't lock on transponders I know are there (and in DVB-S) and the screen is tiiiiny.

FS1 beats it any day - the locks times on it are instant, even when just moving the dish past the satellite at good speed.

A

archive10

Satlook Lite, in my opinion, is a very overrated meter. Half the time it wouldn't lock on transponders I know are there (and in DVB-S) and the screen is tiiiiny.

FS1 beats it any day - the locks times on it are instant, even when just moving the dish past the satellite at good speed.
Yes, but the SatLook was under half the price of what the FS1ProHD sells from UK dealers.
Not sure what is happening to FSM - their homepage has turned into a clone of SatHero homepage, including lot's of references to SatHero.
I smell a takeover / buyout here...