Eutelsat 5 West B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, cannot find how to private msg you. Could you share your location ? I'm from Cluj-Napoca, with an 80cm antenna and cannot receive the new feed. Merci ;)

If you want to know what you can receive E5WB with your antenna in my area,but also yours,then you better read what I wrote on my topic(#329) and another,about Multistream(#117). That's where you'll read what I catch with the T90(tor) dish. But I'm afraid the 80cm antenna is too small for MIS in our area.
 
11471H 9900 is not 5WB Transalpine either despite what Flysat says - Im getting it hereat about 6dBW on the 43cm dish.

Snapshot_20200125_105625681.webp
 
Here's my pictures... As said margin is not huge and this is with almost clear sky. Yesterday evening I lost both 11470 and 11553. My dish is a 120x110 from famaval (xt 110 I believe)... My plan is first try to optimize my set up and if I do not get enough margin, I will go for a 125 from Gibertini or Emme Esse but that might take a little bit of time
20200125_105927-01.webp20200125_110001-01.webp20200125_105911-02.webp
 
3m:
11471H 9900 12.8db = Transalpine
11480H 3215 19.2db = ?

110cm:
11471H 9900 nothing
11480H 3215 12.0db
 
Last edited:
Strong signal today 11480H/3215
1.2m
128391

11456H/2400 scanned 3 radio channels - NRG IDF, SKYROCK-SAT, Nostalgie IDF
128392


11471H/9900 - O.K.
 
Last edited:
FWIW heres my current frequency list. Scottish Borders - ex Sky 43cm dish - so the lnb skew is probably rather less than optimal. (This didnt matter with the high power of 5WA)

10970V 29950 - lock
11054V 29950 - lock
11096V 29950 - no lock
11138V 29950 - lock
11456H 2400 - lock (but takes a while)
11471V 29950 - no lock
11472H 9900 - lock
11480H 3215 - lock
11512V 29950 - lock
11554V 29950 - no lock
11595V 29950 - lock
11596H 30000 - lock
11679V 29950 - lock
12564V 29950 - lock
12690V 29950 - no lock
12700H 11168 - no lock
 
Help! I’ve lost most of my French channels on 5 West, except for FR3 and TV5MONDE FBS
What are my options? I live in Lugo, northwest Spain. Many thanks for any suggestions
 
Help! I’ve lost most of my French channels on 5 West, except for FR3 and TV5MONDE FBS
What are my options? I live in Lugo, northwest Spain. Many thanks for any suggestions

We have a report of a 3.1m dish being extremely marginal in Lisbon so that probably indicates the sort of size dish you are going to need. The easy way to get them back will be via TNTSat on 19E or BIS on 13E.
 
Help! I’ve lost most of my French channels on 5 West, except for FR3 and TV5MONDE FBS
What are my options? I live in Lugo, northwest Spain. Many thanks for any suggestions

That is because all the other channels are transfered to the new Eutelsat 5W B. This new satellite does not officialy cover this part of Spain.
Reports from portugal say it is inpossible to receive this satellite, even with a big satellite dish... Maybe, because you are farther north, you have a chance to get those channels with a bigger dish, but that is not certain. How big is your dish now?

An option could be receiving the French channels with TNT sat on Astra 1

TNT SAT, n°1 de la TNT gratuite par satellite
 
The only European beam in use by Eutelsat 5 West B is the Transalpine beam the other beam has been removed from the Eutelsat site as the damaged satellite does not have the capacity for it.

The Algerian downlink is still there as well but not used currently for the same reason when another satellite joins E5WB in the future it may be activated when additional capacity is made available for the rest of the transponders still on E5WA.
 
Yes, it's like pointing with a flashlight at a globe.
I can view the Mulitstream French and Italian channels on my Edision Primo in the west of Ireland.. I am using 1.2 m Gilbertini dish which is centred on 1 West so the 5W LNB is offset. The signal and quality are well down from 15 db to 11 db but the main terrestrial channels on Multistream are mostly stable. I will need to align the dish exactly on 5W at some point and see the results as I have had an occasional bit of glitching and breakup.
 
Here's a video report from HD51's satfinder. It gives the whole current image of the reception in Thessaloniki with a 1.30 dish.
Please notice that since the reception is on a motor, the skew is set to 0, meaning it's not optimal.
The measurement was taken around 15:00, the signal peaks around 20:00 but falls about 1-2db during nighttime.
The official last footprint of 48dbW stops about 80-100km west from Thessaloniki, however the beam behaves a lot better, when the signal is on its peak time, the differences between what used to be on 5A are minimal.
All 5B frequencies are receivable, 11509H remains quite powerful at around 17db (peak signal), but 11697H of RAI is even stronger than before around 18db. 12648V is slightly weaker on all occasions, peaking at 14db (about 1db less than on 5A). Mediaset is also about 1-2db lower than before and overall the weakest of all. Perhaps the highest frequencies are more prone to LNB skew.
Also notice the significant signal wobbling behaviour of the Silabs tuner with MIS signals, where it's not stable and varies between 3-4db in real time.
The strongest TP (still unsure if it's on 5A or 5B ) is 11480H with a massive 20.5db signal!!! Other low SR TPs come also quite strongly.

In my estimation the French need at least a dish of 1.10, perhaps even a 1m dish would suffice marginally with the correct LNB skew.
 
Interestingly a couple of the unlocked tps are now showing some signs of life - the strength bar is flashing yellow for brief bursts. 11554V & 12690V
 
Maybe it is weak where you are due to the satellite's footprint ? Very strong signals here on those 2,
At my location in west of Ireland I have noticed the quality level has increased a little at night on the MS frequency 11.509 (using 1.25 Gilbertino Inverto Quad Ultra LNB
 
Last edited:
The only European beam in use by Eutelsat 5 West B is the Transalpine beam the other beam has been removed from the Eutelsat site as the damaged satellite does not have the capacity for it.

The Algerian downlink is still there as well but not used currently for the same reason when another satellite joins E5WB in the future it may be activated when additional capacity is made available for the rest of the transponders still on E5WA.
Many thanks for the replies. I have been using a 60cm dish to watch the Fransat service on 5 degrees west. I have a 1m20 spare dish but it looks as if it will be insufficient. I will have to look at TNT Sat or Bis. In the meantime, back to FTA channels from 13, 19 and 26 degrees east.
 
I’ve been looking at TNT receivers for French “Freesat” equivalent reception from Astra 1. Here in Spain I can easily purchase Thomson THS804 and Strong SRT7404. Any comments on these receivers? Thanks!
 
Help! I’ve lost most of my French channels on 5 West, except for FR3 and TV5MONDE FBS
What are my options? I live in Lugo, northwest Spain. Many thanks for any suggestions

The strange shape of this Transalpine footprint cuts off Western Spain & Portugal ? So it looks like the predicted footprint is a good guide sad to say.E5WB_Predicted_Ku-band_Transalpine_Downlink.webp
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top