Express-AM1 - The loudest Cband source over the UK ?

Vipersan said:
Ok ..as promised ..
Diagram showing the dimensions of a Basic plate ...and a modified plate for conical feeds..
As mentioned previously ..
Dimensions are not critical ..but the material is to some degree..

To confirm this I made an identical Stadard T plate (same dimensions ) from a sheet of 6mm thick smooth faced Teflon about 6 months back..
It didn't perform as well as the polyethylene plate

maybe its the rough micro diamond surface ..but I doubt it..

rgds
VS

If you make one please report any increase in gain ...just to confirm mine isn't a fluke.
;)

Excellent, thanks. Will test when made.
 
VS, got a cutting board from John Lewis, same material and thickness as the one you have. Made the plate, but needed an extra cutout as my feed has an extra 'ring' compared to yours (see pic I posted earlier).

Sad to say, no discernible difference in signal. Maybe my particular feed design and original plate is working to max efficiency already?

Anyway, I've taken the LNB off now, ready to install on the motorised dish. I don't expect any spectacular results, but it's all good fun.
 
Llew said:
VS, got a cutting board from John Lewis, same material and thickness as the one you have......

Sad to say, no discernible difference in signal. Maybe my particular feed design and original plate is working to max efficiency already?

Did you not ask for the 'under the counter' high gain cutting board ? :)
 
Llew said:
VS, got a cutting board from John Lewis, same material and thickness as the one you have. Made the plate, but needed an extra cutout as my feed has an extra 'ring' compared to yours (see pic I posted earlier).

Sad to say, no discernible difference in signal. Maybe my particular feed design and original plate is working to max efficiency already?

Anyway, I've taken the LNB off now, ready to install on the motorised dish. I don't expect any spectacular results, but it's all good fun.

Sorry your efforts where somewhat wasted Llew....
It may well be that your setup is truely optimised already ..or maybe the material is slightly different ..
You could try the plate ...directly into the lnbf ..without a feedhorn fitted ..
Ie slacken off the 3 screws ..and just pop it in ..oo err missus ..
Just to see if its actually catching signal outside the lnbf throat ...
I have to admit it appears more effective on a PF feed ..but deffinately is giving me an extra 2db on the 80cm ..
Maybe its that the 80cm isn't 100% with the lnbf ..and the plate compensates for this ..
Sorry m8..
:(
 
Llew said:
Anyway, I've taken the LNB off now, ready to install on the motorised dish. I don't expect any spectacular results, but it's all good fun.

Looking forward to seeing your results Llew...
Please post em up
....maybe this will contnue to encourage new Cbanders..
rgds
VS
 
sonnetpete said:
Did you not ask for the 'under the counter' high gain cutting board ? :)

:-jest :-laugh :-jumpsmile
 
Vipersan said:
Looking forward to seeing your results Llew...
Please post em up
....maybe this will contnue to encourage new Cbanders..
rgds
VS

Yes, I'll try the plate with the motorised, with which I can fine tune onto 40E better then the existing setup, which is only just seeing the satellite - think it's only just peeping over the neighbour's dormer roof where it is now.
 
No probs Llew ..
Please remember though ...that Express 40E is inclined ..
I'm sure you'll take that into account ..when ssetting up ..
The bigger the dish the more accuratly it needs to be aligned ..so ideally you'll want to test when the inclination = zero ..so as not to change your dish settings ..
rgds
VS
 
Well I've spent a day or so adding the LNB to the SMW dish. Not a trivial task as the LNB arm is not suitable as it is a round pipe, and the bracket that comes with the feed assembly only fits a rectangular shape of arm (TD88 etc.) So I used the pipe sleeve I modified to take my Inverto LNB and mounted the C-Band LNB on that. This slips on the existing pipe. That gives me plenty of forward/backward movement to focus the LNB, besides the normal LNB movement in its holder.

Homing in on 40E, I focussed the LNB minus the feedhorn cone and noted the dB value. Unsurprisingly a strong peak on the speccy, much larger than that with the TD88, and a solid picture on the receiver. Now here's the odd thing - I placed the feedhorn on the LNB and there was no difference in signal strength! However much I refocussed the LNB, there was no change in strength with or without the feedhorn.

One thing for sure VP, replacing the normal dielectric with the T-Plate does give an extra couple of dB's, so I can confirm this using the SMW dish despite no apparent change using it on the TD88.

The only other satellite I get a significant peak on is 20E 4058L. Scanning across the arc I get several peaks, but they are not strong enough to lock.

So... something is not quite right regarding the LNB/conical feedhorn combination on my dish. I rather suspect I'm going to have to try some kind of homemade feedhorn to suit the dish to see if that will improve things - or get a larger dish!
 
How big is the SMW dish? Is it offset?
 
Huevos said:
How big is the SMW dish? Is it offset?

Yes, offset

Size - 1200mm x 1080mm
26.5 degree offset angle
41.0db gain
f/D ratio 0.5
Beam width 1.6 degrees
 

Attachments

  • SMW Dish.webp
    SMW Dish.webp
    52.7 KB · Views: 79
Better signal with thin plastic plate ... but adapted to be conical feeds
 

Attachments

  • 666.webp
    666.webp
    30 KB · Views: 58
hi Llew i have the smw dish i did away with the arm that came with it and made my own arm and supports so that i have more movement for the lnbf,also connical scaler did not work on mine only the PF scaler plus my own made plate was better than VS tee plate i dont know why that is,i found my own made plate was more sensitive,i have made about thirty plates with different designs but the one i have now gives equal gain over the whole frequency.
 
Hi buddy
I am from Brazil and I really appreciate your jobs. I'd like to do some testes here in Brazil. We have some satellites that work in C-band digital and analog.
How can I get this cone and the bracelet to hold the LNB?
 
blacksnaky said:
Hi buddy
I am from Brazil and I really appreciate your jobs. I'd like to do some testes here in Brazil. We have some satellites that work in C-band digital and analog.
How can I get this cone and the bracelet to hold the LNB?

Hi Blacksnaky ...and welcome m8..
The details of both the Conical feed ..and a cheap lnb from Taiwan ..
Both ebay items are to be found in post #11 of this thread

You should have no problem with the feed and collar ...as they are supplied from the US..
good luck m8
rgds
VS
 
Thanks for the information.
Take a look at this webpage. There some interesting photos and information.
_http://www.colvero.com/tvdig/montagens/index.htm
 
We are due some C Band LNBs in this week from the USA if anyone is interested, see our post here with details

Forgot to add, there is a £5 OFF coupon floating about in our seller section which you could use at checkout, valid until end of July only :-righton
 
foto c-band1.webp

Hi guys,
my dish is channel master 1.10m
 

Attachments

  • c-band2.webp
    c-band2.webp
    339.8 KB · Views: 78
  • c-band3.webp
    c-band3.webp
    265.3 KB · Views: 81
Back
Top