Fortec Star Passion HD
Skymaster 60cmdish
HH90 Stab Motor
0.3db Fortec Star LNB
NEC VT660 Projector
My Location
Liverpool
Hi All,
New to here and a novice to sat tv. Just bought a Fortec Passion HD (awesome picture but keeps crashing and freezing) HH90 Stab motor and a Fortec 0.3Lnb (instead of Skymaster 0.6Lnb) and a Skymaster 60cm dish.
Set up motor on USALS and getting almost all sats from 45E Intelsat 12(11519V) to 22W NSS 7(11624V only).
Trying to get 11161 V tp B8 on Express AM22 at 53E but nothing showing on any TP's . Any idea if this sat is receiveable in NW with a 60cm dish ?
(at that position dish is almost verticle and cranked way over to the left)

All this a mute point right now, Passion has frozen and even after turning off and restoring factory defaults it shows no sat signal and shows moving dish but flip all happens :mad:

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum stevesatuk8

Well certainly the dish size you have should receive something from the 11161 V tp B8 on Express AM22 at 53E transmitted on the wide Europe beam
I am however surprised you can see 53E from your location, it must be very low down on the horizon. If you are using an offset dish it should be leaning forward at the top as the satellite is only just above the horizon and an offset dish works like this, thus a signal arriving from almost horizontal will require a dish leaning forward at the top

NB please do not multipost

Attachments

• dish.jpg
    dish.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 58

Park Royal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Smart lnb, 1m Gibby dish, Stab motor, TM5200D receiver, 57east to 61west. DTT from Sudbury. Virgin Media broadband.
My Location
So called capital of Suffolk, UK.
Topper is correct. 53east from Liverpool is approx 11 degrees above the horizon, so with an offset dish of 22degrees the dish will be pointing down about 11 degrees. stevesat you are correct that it is canted over to the left, viewed from the rear.
Parky.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Try tuning on the Russian channels at 11044V, 44950 as this has a much stronger signal.
I was able to pick these up with a 70cm dish, but as for 11161V I'm getting nothing at the moment with my 90cm and anyway it's only two channels.

As for 11044V I'm only getting a 50% signal but the picture is strong. Think I'll have to cut my neighbours hedge to get a stronger signal. :)

stevesat8

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
Skymaster 60cmdish
HH90 Stab Motor
0.3db Fortec Star LNB
NEC VT660 Projector
My Location
Liverpool
Thanks guys,
its the 2 Belarus channels on that txp I am after, already got russian off Hotbird and Sirius but will try 11044V, 44950 as soon as damn Passion decides to work or I can get to Maplin to get a replacement.
I am on the 3rd floor of a block of flats with the wall facing due south :)
Do you think it was worthwhile buying the Fortec 0.3lnb over the Skymaster 0.6lbn ? Would a 90cm dish help things ?

stevesat8

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
Skymaster 60cmdish
HH90 Stab Motor
0.3db Fortec Star LNB
NEC VT660 Projector
My Location
Liverpool
multipost was accidental, sorry, I refreshed page and oops !!!

jakenl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Starlight 5900+PVR-80GB,Topfield TF5000CI,Skystar2,110cm dish, Invacom 0,3dB, Moteck SG2100A,range: 75East-61West,AMD Sempron 2600+, Windows XP Pro.
My Location
The Netherlands
The problem is not your dishsize, but the high symbolrate.
There aren't many receivers that can deal with that.

Jakenl

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
You may also find that skewing the LNB in the holder some ten degrees off vertical helps, but there is nothing like putting a slightly larger dish on that position only, and switch it in when you need it.

Park Royal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Smart lnb, 1m Gibby dish, Stab motor, TM5200D receiver, 57east to 61west. DTT from Sudbury. Virgin Media broadband.
My Location
jakenl is correct about the symbol rate. I have a TM1000, a TM1500 and a C-tech1500 and the only one to show any results from 11044V is the TM1000.
Belarius-TV comes in quite strong here with a 1m dish. You might be a tad optimistic in getting a signal with a 60cm dish at your location, but you never know your luck.
Pics of my dish at 53 east and a screenshot of Belarius-TV. As you can see I get the best reception from 53east in USALS by putting the dish at 54east. You might try moving your dish slightly to see if you get a result.
regards Parky

stevesat8

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
Skymaster 60cmdish
HH90 Stab Motor
0.3db Fortec Star LNB
NEC VT660 Projector
My Location
Liverpool
thanks for all your help guys.
Will persevere and maybe buy fortecstar 90cm dish, just wish I could get response from them about STB freezing all the time, each time I have to turn it off to reset it I loose all my saved/edited channel lists 'O'-red now getting as far west as 30 deg (Hispasat) and 42 east (turksat).
Does it make a difference in day or night as it used to on short wave ?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
stevesat8 said:
Does it make a difference in day or night as it used to on short wave ?
Ah you mean as in tropospheric propogation, well of course the answer is no as the signals do pass through the troposphere however since microwave radiation is attenuated by moisture and the moisture content of the air normally tends to decrease when the sun sets (as the moisture is deposited as dew on the ground) one would think that the answer would be better reception at night however if I am not mistaken the troposphere also shrinks at night to compensate for this reduced moisture content so the status quo appears to be maintained. In reality I would have thought it extremely difficult to extract meaningful measurements as such since there are far too many variables involved including such things as continuous atmospheric pressure changes coupled with bi-annual equinox changes constant temperature changes and continuously varying cloud formations.

Park Royal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Despite "Topper's" very technical explaination. I tend to get better reception from fringe satellites ie 7west, 4west and 26east at night.
Parky.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Park Royal said:
Despite "Topper's" very technical explaination. I tend to get better reception from fringe satellites ie 7west, 4west and 26east at night.
Parky.

Agreed. Whilst the Troposhere may be unrelated, other factors

Thermal noise from the ground, dish surface and air,
Average temperature of LNB components

will have an effect on the signal to noise ratio.