Express AM7 40e C Band on a 120cm CM

Chr0nik

Member
My Satellite Setup
GTMEDIA V8X - 110cm Triax on a Dark motor (34.5w to 70.5e)
My Location
Grays, Essex
Hi,

Quick question to those who have tried to get C Band on 120cm dishes - what's the db level expected coming from this sat? I'm getting 8db to 12db but the image is pixelated, especially Rossiya 1. I'm not sure if it's a limitation with the size of the dish or LNB position/skew, etc.

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Those T2-MI channels on 40°E use DVB-S2 8PSK with an FEC of 3/4 from what I can see. They need at least 7.9dB SNR to lock without breakup, so if you’re getting 8dB (the higher the better!) that should be just about alright.

I’m sure I’ve seen somewhere that the encryption used on Rossiya 1 (and Perviy Kanal and Match!) on these feeds (GostCrypt?) isn’t quite like the other standard encryption you see normally, where you just get a black screen and a ‘scrambled’ message. Instead you get a garbled picture as if the signal is bad, which seems to be what you’re describing!

Channels other than those three should be free to air and free of any break-up if you have enough signal.
 
I was able to get most of 40e on a 1.2m Channel Master, though when Match! encrypted I lost interest. Of the missing TPs one was 3665 15284 but can't remember if it was L or R :confused
 
Since you have the 1.8m dish outside, have you tried the Cband LNB on that ?

If the reception is the same then you know it's not the incoming signal level.

You might be getting terrestrial interference from the newer mobile towers.

 
Since you have the 1.8m dish outside, have you tried the Cband LNB on that ?

If the reception is the same then you know it's not the incoming signal level.

You might be getting terrestrial interference from the newer mobile towers.


Yes, managed to get 34.5w with it but was not able to get anything else as the stand is not 100% plumb. I will have a look when tomorrow.
 
I wouldn't mind knowing if 40E can be received reliably on a 1.2m in UK. Certainly no issues on 1.8m but I wanted a fixed one pointing at it.

More channels will be encrypted with GostCrypt malarkey so make the most of it. (unless you obtain a very expensive CAM)
 
I wouldn't mind knowing if 40E can be received reliably on a 1.2m in UK. Certainly no issues on 1.8m but I wanted a fixed one pointing at it.

More channels will be encrypted with GostCrypt malarkey so make the most of it. (unless you obtain a very expensive CAM)

I've tried this morning and was able to get all of the channels on 40e with an average of 11db.
 
I've tried this morning and was able to get all of the channels on 40e with an average of 11db.

Is 3665 R 15284 weaker than 3665 L for you? I was only able to get the L polarised TP on a 1.2m CM. Was missing a few other transponders as well.
 
I've tried this morning and was able to get all of the channels on 40e with an average of 11db.
That's better than I expected but you're further east than I am.

Is 3665 R 15284 weaker than 3665 L for you? I was only able to get the L polarised TP on a 1.2m CM. Was missing a few other transponders as well.
Is that with a depolariser plate in?
 
CM 1.2m DMS Internationals BSC621-2 C/Ku, North East England

Strongest transponder is 3942L 12.0db

Transponders without lock:
3558L - channels scan in but no stable lock
3565L - ditto
3572L
3579L
3585L
3592L
3779L
3785L - occasional lock
3835L
3842L
3858L - occasional lock
3665R - (3665L 9.5db)
3706R
 
I'm getting 11.9db on 3684 R and the weakest is 3739L (6db)
 
Do you receive all the transponders I'm missing? What LNB are you using? :)
 
At the moment I'm only getting 3684 R and 3739L but must be because the LNB is not properly mounted. I'm using one of these ones I've got from Aliexpress.
 
At the moment I'm only getting 3684 R and 3739L but must be because the LNB is not properly mounted. I'm using one of these ones I've got from Aliexpress.
You could do worse than look at the T-plate design


There are other more exotic designs out there.

 
Last edited:
Back
Top