Extending arms on a 2.7m prime focus DH Dish

Cyprussmoggy

Member
My Satellite Setup
3.2 m sky
1.0m Nilesat
1.0m Hotbird
Both 1.0m off a visionet 8000cis
My Location
Cyprus
Here in Cyrpus, I have heard of Sat technicians extending the arms on a 2.7m dish to improve signal strength and quality.

Would this be true? or is it just another money making scheme?
 
Are you talking about feed support arms?

If so.. it can work if the particular dish favours a longer focal length with a particular lnb / feed horn etc.. we do it all the time ... longer or shorter to get the last drop out of a dish/ lnb etc.. professional fine tuning ... up to 35mm on a 1m so possibly up to 100mm on a 2.7m?

Also it can be as a result of slight miss shaping of the parabola and finding the new optimum focal point.

so yes ... you could have someone who really knows their stuff...... or not... depends on the results ...
 
Cheers Pedro!
Ok I will admit I am a technician but i have not heard of extending by that much. I use invacom c120 lnb and get a good signal but I still get some break up on an evening. I will try on my next installation and see what results I get.
 
Cyprussmoggy said:
Cheers Pedro!
Ok I will admit I am a technician but i have not heard of extending by that much. I use invacom c120 lnb and get a good signal but I still get some break up on an evening. I will try on my next installation and see what results I get.

If you were in the business ten years ago you will know of the issue with some offset dishes coming up rather 'short'.

A sweet spot of any dish can only be found by experimentation. You can of course believe the 'maufacturers' figures, and their fixed feed clamp specifications, but a spectrum analyser will usually deviate from the figure.
 
Back
Top