Status
Not open for further replies.

robby2k9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
My Location
UK
I have been happy with my F3 box, it came with the latest (I think) firmware - wifi June 2012 & works fine via HDMI.
So I recommended it to a friend, as he needs component for his industrial Pioneer plasma screen which doesn't have HDMI. BIG MISTAKE! He called me round to take a look. The picture was burnt out but at the same time low contrast, very odd. I took my box round, assuming his was duff, but the result was the same. Poking a scope up the 'Y' output revealed the problem, the signal is indeed low (about 50%), and is being white-clipped too. I don't know if this is a firmware bug (I assume these parameters can be tweaked in firmware) or a design flaw, but the component output certainly isn't useable as it stands at the moment.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, I found that "ypbpr" not available was reported on mine even though the F3 is Component capable (allegedly) and so is my Telly.

Fortunately I do have HDMI and in every other respect the F3 is the Bogs Dollocks.

Stew.art

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Minidish 28/19°E (FTA) • DVB-S2: Edision Proton & Skybox F3 • NowTV (Black) • DVB-T: Toshiba HDTV, Netgem iPlayer • DAB: Pure's The Bug • OS: Windows 10 & Puppy Linux.
My Location
North Essex, England
What about HDMI to RGB Component Conversion Cables (pictured), available for less then a fiver on a certain auction site.

I'm currently using a standard 3 RCA To 3 RCA cable (red, white & yellow plugs) to connect the F3 to my DVD/Hard-Drive recorder, HD content is still available through the recorder but downscaled.

robby2k9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
My Location
UK
Already has RGB, he wanted YUV for the HD channels.
As they went to the bother of fitting & connecting the YUV outputs I assume they worked when originally designed.
Hopefully this may mean that a bug has crept into the firmware causing the problem, & can be corrected on a later update.
Anyone know how to contact the firmware writers to let them know about the problem?

cardomons

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyBox F3 (Kids room)
Vu+Duo (Livving Room)
My Location
UK
Recently purchased a SkyBox F3, with the firmware that came with it, I can report that the component output has a crystal clear picture both on SD and HD channels.

However, the SPDIF, does not work so you have to use the red/yellow composite stereo channels or use a SCART adapter to feed the sound into a surround system, this is a shame as the connector looks to be present, so you have to put up with stereo rather than 5.1 surround sound when you don't have HDMI input on your TV or surround system.

Pros
Crystal clear picture on both SD and HD on both component/HDMI
Can pick one up for £50, HD at this price makes the device worthwhile
Settings/image can be backed up/restored on USB stick
Fairly stable system (I have had a couple of box freezes)
Quick boot time, even from cold

Cons
SPDIF digital audio out not available
HDMI not compatible with older DVI flat screen, works well on new TV (HDMI 1.3) (Maybe just my old plasma)
EPG is not the most user friendly, you have to click on the FAV's button on the remote, select a channel then click on the EPG button, currently searching the forums to see if the EPG can be updated with a firmware update as box is a closed system, also EPG does not display for all channels
Not able to ftp/telnet onto the box to retrieve update settings, must be done via USB (not tried RS232)
Haven't found a way to disable the config without updating it (yet), correct me if I'm wrong
No USB on the back just one on the front
Client only

Sounds like a lot of cons, but all in all I'm well pleased with this box, the kids moan about the EPG, but hopefully overtime updates will become available

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I had a couple of freezes when I first got mine, but conclusively proved they were due to overheating as the new box was sitting directly on the Foxsat (that it has now fully replaced).

Since I donated the Foxsat to SWMBO, I've been freeze-free.

The only mild niggle I have is that it says "Motor Moving" every time I boot up.

showdog

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ICECRYPT SCT 6000 HD PVR
1.2 TRIAX
DARK MOTOR
SKYBOX F3
SKY AERIAL Set to 28.2
My Location
North Wales
Hi All
Got my F3 3weeks ago must say I am pleased with it, was a bit sceptical due to price. All changed just plug it in connected all the cables had it up and running in about 10 minutes, this is about the quickest I have done with a set straight from the box. Must say I am pleased and supprised that it went so easy. Crystal clear on both SD & HD happy with the gift (doe's anyone know how long the gift is for). When you think what you get:
1, STB Free Gift and an HDMI cable as well you cant argue with the cost. Lets Keep the This SKYF3 forum going.:-handclap

Costactc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m channel master mesh-24" vonweise actuator-ps1 x2 lnbf(L)-pansat ap3500 positioner-x2 premium III-vu+solo2.
2.4m fortec solid-24" vonweise actuator-esx 241 lnbf(c)-vbox 7 positioner- dm800.
1.2m fortec-24"sj actuator-invacom snh-031--tm 5402 m3.
My Location
Canada
I've always had my f3 hooked up with hdmi, I'll give component a whirl and report back.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
showdog said:
Hi All
Got my F3 3weeks ago must say I am pleased with it, was a bit sceptical due to price. All changed just plug it in connected all the cables had it up and running in about 10 minutes, this is about the quickest I have done with a set straight from the box. Must say I am pleased and supprised that it went so easy. Crystal clear on both SD & HD happy with the gift (doe's anyone know how long the gift is for). When you think what you get:
1, STB Free Gift and an HDMI cable as well you cant argue with the cost. Lets Keep the This SKYF3 forum going.:-handclap

Glad you like the Box.

The Skybox F3 Threads will indeed keep going - provided there's no further mention of "Gifts" and closely related matters ..................:)

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Tivù said:
The Skybox F3 Threads will indeed keep going - provided there's no further mention of "Gifts"

Oh, if you get one of those cardboard and brown paper 'bang' guns with them, I might think of getting one.....

Costactc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m channel master mesh-24" vonweise actuator-ps1 x2 lnbf(L)-pansat ap3500 positioner-x2 premium III-vu+solo2.
2.4m fortec solid-24" vonweise actuator-esx 241 lnbf(c)-vbox 7 positioner- dm800.
My Location
Canada
Gave it a shot with component and it comes through but the picture quality decreased immensly from hdmi.

A nonymous

Reaction score
It always makes me laugh when i see the words free gift lol. How can it be free when it adds about £20 to the cost of the box which can be for as little as £45 where as the ones with the supposed free gift are around £65 upwards :-lmao

Its not a free gift its paying for the use of a Payserver, pure and simple. The free gift will only last as long as the person running the server wants you to have it for or until they get caught by Sky & NDS and then spend a a few years at one of her majesties holiday camps.

Using one of these boxes with the free gift is illegal, you are basically defrauding Sky in the same way as the cable knob eds were doing with Virgin Media until it was closed up last year. the only difference is that the scum running these payservers are making money from you.

Where do you think the scumbags running these free (Free my arse lol) servers get the cards from, as they certainly don't pay for them themselves.

Any further mention of these free gifts and i will close the thread.

Nano

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR, Samsung Sky+ HD, Skybox, Fransat HD box, Fransat SD box
Several dishes up to 150cm, receiving 28E 26E 19E 13E 9E 5W
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
Hi everyone,

My first contribution for ages, but I do follow your learnèd contributions. I too am thinking of awarding myself a Skybox F3, after all I deserve it, don't I?!! I'm secretly grateful to my Egyptian step-mother-in-law (if that's possible) for managing to break the last three satellite boxes I've supplied her with, so I'm now going to have to give her the Technomate 1500 which I use daily, so obviously I need a replacement...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You won't regret getting an F3.

But, more to the point, what on earth does the MIL do to break your boxes?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As for the DiSEqC switch, then yes it should as it is DisEqC 1.2 capable, hence can cope with up to 16 sources.

Costactc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Canada
Hughes said:
I too would like a free gift with my forthcoming Skybox F3. How about free shipping to Spain, or an Inverto Black Ultra dual LNB? I don't think either of those would be illegal! Ooooh, and a question for anyone using the F3. Will it handle an 8x1 DiSeqC switch like my Vantage X221TS, or is that asking for too much?

Can't go wrong for the price. My favourite blind scanner and all audio and video info at a press of a button.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
What's more, the Firmware does all it should and is stable.

The only non-functioning function is "Zoom".

I can live without it!

@Costactc: It was your initial review that got the rest of us interested, so many thanks indeed.

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
The step-mother-in-law is very hamfisted with remote controls and refuses to listen to instructions. She has no patience when changing "channels" and isn't prepared to wait up to a second for the chosen channel to appear. Rather, she will continually turn the box on and off, many times per hour, so they have a really hard life in her hands. She hasn't grasped the concept of pointing the RC at least vaguely in the right direction. I've tried to make things easier for her by grouping the Arab language programmes together in a Favourites list of about 30, and excluding the many hundreds of other channels on 13ºEast which would only confuse her. She also manages to melt the remote controls as the TV is in the kitchen...
Oh and she thinks she knows it all...

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
My wife has just read my contributions about the Egyptian MIL, and will only sanction the purchase of the Skybox if I point out that she, my wife that is, is completely Spanish, and has nothing to do with her widowed father's second wife!!! Done! So now I can go onto that auction site and order the F3 without "free" gift. Everyone's a winner! Will keep you posted.

Costactc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Canada
Tivù said:
What's more, the Firmware does all it should and is stable.

The only non-functioning function is "Zoom".

I can live without it!

@Costactc: It was your initial review that got the rest of us interested, so many thanks indeed.

Thanks Tivu, glad I brought it up when I did. Funny I have spent hundreds of dollars on receivers that can't even do half of what the f3 does. By the way, the zoom button works for me as other openbox/skybox receivers and brings in my list of all sats scanned in.

Status
Not open for further replies.