Fast as buggery internet connetion

munkey

I luuurve Bananas
Reaction score
My Location
Whipsnade
Anyone still plodding along at 56k awaiting the cost of broadband to drop?

I've just signed up for a 600k internet connection from NTL for £25 a month (no installation charges). They do a 1meg connection but I dunno how much it costs. Whats more you don't have to get the telly or phone with them.

Broadband here we come!!!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If you dont have a phone then how do you get connected

Or have I missed something

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think that the answer to that is keep your old BT connection CH ;)

I believe that the 1Meg connection is only £35, so very good value compared to BT ADSL

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
The only reason you need a phone is to call them to order the service. A mobile will do. :D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Im sure that NTL state you must be in the catchment region and have cable outside your house for the service at this price.

If not even 2Old could get it

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
From blueyonders website http://www.telewest.co.uk/athome/internet.html

"blueyonder broadband Internet is an always-on fixed cost cable connection that's nearly 10x faster than traditional dial-up modems. It costs just £25 a month if you subscribe to a Telewest phone service, otherwise blueyonder broadband Internet will cost £29.99 a month.

Lightning fast downloads
Always-on connection, so there's no need to dial-up and wait Leaves your phone line free
Technical support, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Try our amazing new blueyonder 1Mb service
A unique new broadband site offering you the best in broadband entertainment
The one-off installation fee is £50 or £75 if you require a NIC (Network Interface Card). If you sign up for our Broadband Digital TV and Telephone services at the same time as blueyonder broadband Internet, the installation is £25 or £37.50 if you require a NIC."

There is a one-off installation fee for blueyonder broadband Internet of just £25 until 31st January 2003. From 1st February 2003 the installation fee will revert to £50. This offer can not be taken in conjunction with any other offer.

Telewest is better than BT for 2 reasons.
1. BTs so called always on connection is NOT always on. My mate has to restart the computer often just to get back online with bt

2. Telewest can be run 24 hours a day and you will still be connected and it is also CHEAPER.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Cable broadband would certainly appear to be faster, lower contention, but I have not had any problems with keeping a constant connection with ADSL, well not since ditching the frog anyway. :)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I have the Blueyonder 1mb service. The £25 installation cost covers cabling, a modem and the setting up and testing of the service. I don't think BT offer a home service above 500k and if you want an engineer to set it up they charge £250 installation. Of course you have to live within about 5Km of your exchange and it has to have ADSL capability. ADSL runs over existing copper cabling and the signal can be degraded by the differing states of the cabling and can be unreliable. The cable companies run over co-ax through their station links and, personally, I've never had a problem with it.

drag0nfly_69uk

Reaction score
My Location
essex boy
i believe NTL has a "cut down" version, ie Broadband "lite" whereby the connection is 128k downlink and 64k uplink, always on internet and it cost £15 per month. That is the same as some dialup outfits and 4x faster

also there's cut down version of ADSL at about £19 to £21, you'll have to buy your own modem and microfilter and you get no technical support try www.free2surf.net (www.f2s.net)

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
My mate only went over to B.T because his flat could not receive telewest cable service. He even had representatives knocking his door offering the broadband service from them. Even they did not know his flat was not capable of receiving there service. If he puts in the postcode for his area it comes up as available.