File location that defines DM800 recording path

BlightyExPat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 x DM800HD (Genuine in UK, Clone in SA); Virus-free, open source Linux (openSuSE 12.3 and Ubuntu 13.04) PCs (home and office).
My Location
South Africa (and UK)
I have a remote DM800 in the UK that I occasionally use to record a programme, then transfer the recorded files to my local DM800 for viewing.

I've been doing this for at least three years without any problem, however, just recently it seems not to be working. I tried recording a 90 minute programme but only a few seconds were recorded and whereas you normally get 5 or 6 files in the /hdd/movie folder for each recording, this particular programme only comprises of three files, located at /hdd. I have double checked and if I try to set up a new recording the web interface 'Add new timer' page definitely defines the recoding path as /hdd/movie

I just tried several test recordings but each time they failed to store, so I clicked the Add/Save button a second time and it accepts, but then fails to record.

It's not impossible to use the Controlbox> Web Remote option in the gui interface to check the hardware and hdd settings, but it's VERY slow over the internet. Alternatively, does anyone know where the files are located in the DM800 that defines the record path so I can check. Or has anyone had similar a problem or know what the problem and solution might be?

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Look in usr/lib/enigma2/python/plugins

Have You change anything lately in the 800? - perhaps it needs a new install to fresh things up ?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Have you tried restarting the remote Dreambox?

BlightyExPat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 x DM800HD (Genuine in UK, Clone in SA); Virus-free, open source Linux (openSuSE 12.3 and Ubuntu 13.04) PCs (home and office).
My Location
South Africa (and UK)
I've changed nothing and have tried re-booting, but still the same. If I try to copy a set of files for a programme recorded locally on my 800, then attempt to paste them into the /hdd/movie folder of the remote 800, it complains I don't have user rights to paste into that location, so something clearly not right.

Yes, I think a new install might be the answer, but only when I am next there! :(

BlightyExPat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Africa (and UK)
OK, managed to do a full image re-flash and running Gemini 3 without any issues.

The hard drive refuses to initialize, despite temporarily installing it in my Linux pc and formatting as ext3. So I am guessing the hard drive needs replacing. My question.....

Anyone know if there is any reason why I shouldn't go for an SSD hard drive and can it be either SATA II or SATA III?

A nonymous

Reaction score
Is your DM800 a genuine unit or a clone?

I got shut of my SIM 2.01 DM800HD as everytime i tried to initialise the HDD it kept failing. The only image that ever managed it was EDG Nemesis. Gemini, SIF, New Enigma, Dream Elite to name a few all failed to initialise it. I tried with a 60GB, 120GB, 160 GB and finally a 250GB HDD and it was the same result every time.

I think to be honest its getting to be a pretty common fault with these units. Don't bother with a SSD, just get a better receiver and put the HDD in that.

Nano