finding the rearest satellite

juandan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digi box mini dish
My Location
Norfolk, England, uk.
how do I find the nearest satellite to my longitude? my longitude is 1.43:44E (1.72893) I've been to _http://www.lyngsat.com but I don't know what to look for to find my rearest satellite to be honest I haven't a clue

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thor 1W is closest to you, _http://www.lyngsat.com/1west.html

juandan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digi box mini dish
My Location
Norfolk, England, uk.
Thanks for that Rolfw, but can you please explain how I find the satellite on that site with my longitude for future reference

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
juandan said:
Thanks for that Rolfw, but can you please explain how I find the satellite on that site with my longitude for future reference

No you misunderstand, the satellite is at 1deg West always well it is 0.8 actually so as you are a 1.6 deg East that is your nearest due south satellite which is the top of the arc for you, but others people will differ, there is no exact due south satellite for you but this should be sufficient to lock onto to get you going and then make fine adjustments.

juandan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digi box mini dish
My Location
Norfolk, England, uk.
Maybe I'm missing something here, I was reading the setup guide for the DiseqC motor, this is what it says, Notes about your due South satellite

Although I have used Thor 1W as my due South satellite, this is merely because the longitude of my location is actually 1W. If you are situated further East or West, then find your longitude from somewhere like
www.multimap.com or www.heavens-above.com and then look at www.lyngsat.com to find the nearest satellite to your longitude.

what I was asking is when I get to lyngsat.com how do I find the nearest satellite to my longitude myself , I know the sat you gave is the correct one, I just wanted to know how I can find it myself

Park Royal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Smart lnb, 1m Gibby dish, Stab motor, TM5200D receiver, 57east to 61west. DTT from Sudbury. Virgin Media broadband.
My Location
So called capital of Suffolk, UK.
You could have a look at _http://www.flysat.com/1west.php
Parky

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
juandan said:
Maybe I'm missing something here, I was reading the setup guide for the DiseqC motor, this is what it says, Notes about your due South satellite

Although I have used Thor 1W as my due South satellite, this is merely because the longitude of my location is actually 1W. If you are situated further East or West, then find your longitude from somewhere like
www.multimap.com or www.heavens-above.comand then look at www.lyngsat.com to find the nearest satellite to your longitude.

what I was asking is when I get to lyngsat.com how do I find the nearest satellite to my longitude myself , I know the sat you gave is the correct one, I just wanted to know how I can find it myself

It is simply the satellite who's orbital position is closest to your longitude.

Eg if you were in the west coast of Ireland with a longitude of 7.8W, your nearest sat would be 8W.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You'll only need to do it once for your location, but if you go to Lyngsat, you can click on one of the two orbital ranges and look at the satellites closest to you longitude.

Attachments

• lyngsat.jpg
    lyngsat.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 54

juandan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digi box mini dish
My Location
Norfolk, England, uk.
when I look at a satellite site it might as well be in another language because I don't understand what I'm looking at, I think I need to be able to understand what every thing on Lyngsat means, I really do appreciate your help I hope I'm not being a pain,