First 'Proper' Setup - A Few Questions...

fastglass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Old Sky minidish, Philex 80cm dish, Triax TD88 dish, Humax Foxsat HD receiver, Technomate TM600 receiver.
My Location
Notts, UK @ 53.14N
Hi All,

After tinkering with my Humax FoxSat HD receiver and vintage $ky minidish, and buying/reading a few copies of What Satellite magazine, I've decided I 'need' to have a new motorised system with a Linux receiver! (on a budget, mind!)

Now then, seeing as there's not yet a Satellites For Dummies book available, I wonder if anyone would be so kind as to answer a few queries I have, and in turn, increase my temptation to buy some new toys!

Ok, these are sensible questions, so please, if they seem very basic, then please bear with me.

---
DISH QUESTIONS
---

[01] I'm after a wall mounted motorised dish. Are the TM2600 motors really the best I can get for ~£50?

[02] What's the max 'safe' size of wall mounted motorised dish (I have my eye on either a 90cm or 1.1m), and are the large L-brackets the best to use?

[03] My house has 2 possible external walls to mount upon; 1 faces roughly 45deg East, whilst the other faces roughly 30deg West. Whish of these walls would be best to mount on to give most channels with the equipment I have in mind?

---
RECEIVER QUESTIONS
---

[04] I want a Linux-based box which provides HD output, PVR facilities, and is easy to tinker with. Anything extra would be a bonus. I don't want to spend more than £400 on a box. I've been interested in the Technomate TM-800HD, Dreambox DM500HD / DM800HD, or the Icecrypt S4000. I don't want to spend more than I need to. What would you guys recommend?

[05] I want to chose a Linux box as I'm fairly into computers, and love fettling with bits such as this. In a nutshell, What can a Linux box do that a non-Linux box can't?

[06] I want to get into what I believe is called 'card-sharing' in order to watch encrypted channels at home. I'm hoping I can get some good advice about this on these amazing forums. Would I need to purchase any extra hardware in order to carry out this activity?

As I've mentioned, I don't want to spend loads, but I do want a decent 'first system' if that makes any sense!

Thanks for your time in reading the above, and look forward to any sensible answers!

Cheers folks.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Welcome to the satellite hobby it can be very addictive:)

I would suggest you have a look at a few pictures of other members dishes, as it might give you a few ideas:
Picture of Members' Setups and general satellite installations

I currently have a 1.2M dish on the wall, and it's very secure, but legally you're only allowed up to a 1M dish.
Ideally you would want to get as many satellites as possible, at least between 40E to 30W to give a wide selection.

As for a linux based receiver, there are lots of them, the most popular being the Dreambox but have a look at the VU+ Duo, a newish receiver that is getting a lot of praise.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
fastglass said:
DISH QUESTIONS

[01] I'm after a wall mounted motorised dish. Are the TM2600 motors really the best I can get for ~£50?

[02] What's the max 'safe' size of wall mounted motorised dish (I have my eye on either a 90cm or 1.1m), and are the large L-brackets the best to use?

[03] My house has 2 possible external walls to mount upon; 1 faces roughly 45deg East, whilst the other faces roughly 30deg West. Whish of these walls would be best to mount on to give most channels with the equipment I have in mind?

Welcome to the forum.

1. I would say the TM2600 motor is certainly the best available for your budget.

2. Avoid the L type brackets for large dish installations, they are just not strong enough and flex too much; besides getting them plumb can be a challenge. Consider a set of T&K brackets for your installation.

3. Have a look at our dish pointer tool here, should give you an indication for dish mounting dish pointer

fastglass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Old Sky minidish, Philex 80cm dish, Triax TD88 dish, Humax Foxsat HD receiver, Technomate TM600 receiver.
My Location
Notts, UK @ 53.14N
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, really appreciate your advice.

@ Mickha

The gallery is going to tempt me no end - will have a good gawp over a coffee and see what sort of setups are possible. Your adjective 'addictive' sounds about in line with how I view the world of dishes, satellites and the tinkering of the two together - seems to make TV alot more interesting!

Ideally you would want to get as many satellites as possible, at least between 40E to 30W to give a wide selection.

With this is mind, if I were to mount my dish on a wall which faces 30W, would the dish be able to swing round to 40E, providing the distance from the wall to the dish is great enough? (Basically, what I'm asking is, is there a limit of how far a motor can turn one way or the other?)

Also, will take a look at the VU+ Duo box you suggested (always good to get a recommendation from somebody, rather than a company!).

@ satelliteman

Thanks for all your answers - will definately bear them in mind, especially the mounting brackets. Cheers.

Thanks again for your time and help.