BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Right then,

I've not made myself look a plonker for a while (to my knowledge at least!) so lets put that right.

Just supposing that my wife didn't actually expressly forbid me to add another 80cm dish to my growing dish-farm, and let us also suppose that I could get a pole in the ground and mount the dish while she was out shopping, and then survive the verbal abuse when she got home....

If I have it fixed at 30W, would there be any advantage/disadvantage of canting the dish over (like my diseqc motor would) and leave the LNB 'square on' to the dish, or should I just skew the LNB in the holder?

I know both would work, but any pros and cons?

Thanks peeps. Figured I'd be eternally sad if I never got to see TV Cabo...

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I think the problem might be physically aligning the dish to a position similar to that obtained with a Diseqc motor, as a fixed dish normally has just an elevation setting. Skewing the LNB in that case is all you can do.
Stick it up now before it gets dark, then you'll have all evening to find an excuse for your missus. ;)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Llew said:
I think the problem might be physically aligning the dish to a position similar to that obtained with a Diseqc motor... ;)
What, you mean I'll have to buy another motor?!?

Oh no! ;)

I figure that there must be a slight advantage to canting the (elliptical) dish.
I'm sure I can make a suitable bracket. I have a whole load of big-boys Lego (scaffolding brackets) to play with.

Any signal improvement predictions anyone?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Yeah, I was stating the obvious re fixed dish brackets. I wasn't sure exactly how you were going to acheive the correct alignment on the satellite.
As far as I know, anything other than full illumination of the dish is going to be a compromise even with a correctly skewed LNB. Be interesting to know if anyone has done a comparison regarding differences in signal strength though.

Llew

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There should be an improvement, but I would doubt whether it would make a difference in real terms, particularly given the strength of the signal from Hispasat.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
OK I'm going to need a crayon drawing for this.. sorry :-ohmy

I can see the skew due to the Sat Pos but if the capture area remains
the same then how will dish skew make a difference ??