Flashing dm-500 - Help Please!

bilocate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 500
My Location
Jordan
Greeting,

I'm trying to flash a dm-500 yet backup the current image.

1. the device was password protected and i have removed the password, now i'm able to access the box using the telnet and the web interface, but can't access FTP using the default passwords,though i have changed it.
  2. i have to assume that i have a cross cable, since using the DCC it connect via router
  3. i've used dreamup with the cross cable but nothing happens, i followed all the instructions, nevertheless i bought Hl - RS232 cabel Male to USB, later i bought 9pin Female to female, i've connected directly and through the USB, nothing happens nothing seems to get me through to the box
  4. I currently have Enigma Image, based on whats written on the web interface
  5. now i have some doubt that my box is genuine, as the MAC address written on box is different whats on the router, only the 1st 6 digit , cant find the plugin to generate a verification code. to cross check with Dm official site
your help is highly appreciated.

Regards

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If its password protected then presumably it gave you the pay channels for free yes??

bilocate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 500
My Location
Jordan
Yes, when i bought it, it comes with 1 year subscription, now it's expired. so i want to experiment with the box and take my knowledge 1 step further

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Flash it with a new image - it'll write over all the old settings. Export your channel lists with dreamboxedit, then put them back again when you have flashed it and set the tuner up again.

bilocate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 500
My Location
Jordan
now this is exactly the problem i can't seems to flash it, using the dreamup, using rs232 cable nor the cross Ethernet cable.

so whats your suggestion to do? also what image should i use, i haven't done this from before and seems there's lots of images out there, all im interested in, is to have an image loaded with keys etc, specialized for the nilesate, since my dish fixed with only the nilesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
There is very little open on keys these days. Not sure what the exact status is with 7W as its out of range here so I dont bother too much with keeping up to date.

Instructions for flashing 500's can be found on the forum - you need to follow them exactly.

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky 1.5 m FTE dish Amiko Alien SHD8900 receiver, Gigablue Quad
& 80cm dish for Nilesat or badr with Amstrad sky receiver
Dreambox 500s motsat3 motor
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
You have to make sure its a null modem cable other wise it wont work, also i have read that if its a rs232 to usb it can be very temperamental. best to use rs232 - rs232..I use open pli image

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Also use an old version of Dreamup. I use 1.3.2.1

bilocate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 500
My Location
Jordan
RichardinSpain said:
You have to make sure its a null modem cable other wise it wont work, also i have read that if its a rs232 to usb it can be very temperamental. best to use rs232 - rs232..I use open pli image

excuse my ignorance, but how can to be sure its 100% null modem cable

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky 1.5 m FTE dish Amiko Alien SHD8900 receiver, Gigablue Quad
& 80cm dish for Nilesat or badr with Amstrad sky receiver
Dreambox 500s motsat3 motor
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
Well i dont think you can by looking at it unless you take the plastic plugs off to see which pins are connected...Same problem i had, i asked for one in the shop and they supplied a normal one i took it back and said it didnt work and they supplied the correct one and it worked first time...they look the same so thats most probabaly your problem if your not sure that it is a null modem