Following on from the Smitfraud issue

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
and exit one drive.

Another tested clean drive (28G:cool: erased with Active Killdisk (free version)
_http://www.majorgeeks.com/Active_KillDisk_d4791.html

Then formatted , and again using the Win 2000 disc.
Loaded up SP4 upgrade, the usual firewalls/spyware/Winzip and Avast stuff, and then all the security updates, along with DivX and upgrades to DirectX.

Started running slowly the first time I went online to post last night, checked the in/out speeds and found more was going out than in.

When I came to check and clean up, ran Adaware old (usual cookies and some Alexa, but nothing suspect) and then the new (2007), and this found - Win32. backdoor.VANBOT - in the PC, less than 5 hours after a complete start from scratch.

This is what it has the power to do
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/backdoor_w32_vanbot_br.shtml

Create remote command shell
Delete files
Download and run files
Gather infected system information
Join and part IRC channels, change nicks, change server
List and terminate processes including security related software products
Log keystrokes
Monitor and sniff network traffic
Open a mail proxy, http and tftp server for file transfers
Perform DDOS and send ICMP and SYN packets
Report bot uptime to a hacker
Save a screen and webcam image capture
Scan for vulnerable computers and try to get access to IPC$ and ADMIN$ shares by performing a dictionary attack then spread to them
Send current IP address to a hacker
Steal user credentials and PC games private keys
Visit a remote website

Just cleaned out the drive once again and it now appears to be behaving itself, but if I get one more intrusion, I'll most likely go back to Win98, as I had virtually no downtime when using the old o/s, and very little interest from outside sources.#

Not a happy bunny.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
That's the thing about 2000, XP and possibly Vista, there's too many "back doors" that Microsoft left open, hence all the stupid, never ending updates, so, if you connect a freshly re-installed PC to the internet with no firewall and no decent interactive antivirus, you're very likely to have some sort of trojan horse sneak in very quickly, then you become an unwitting participant in a DDoS attack or other potentially unwelcome activities... :(

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Were there more open paths in the later systems , or have hackers just given up on W98SE ?

Drivers/start time and even connection to a drive on a new PC chassis seem to be so much easier with pre ME.

Maybe I need a new chassis ( maybe I'm too senile for a modern PC ?)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Channel Hopper said:
Were there more open paths in the later systems , or have hackers just given up on W98SE ?

Drivers/start time and even connection to a drive on a new PC chassis seem to be so much easier with pre ME.

Maybe I need a new chassis ( maybe I'm too senile for a modern PC ?)

There's one quote from Star Trek that I like:

"the more complex the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain" - Scotty, referring to the new Excelsior... :D

This describes the more recent OS's to a tee....

As for 98SE, there are still viri out there for it, as they still need their hosts for the DDoS attatcks, but the later stuff was just badly put together and only fixed the problems after they sold it to millions of people round the world.... :(

But, computers will never be perfect, there'll always be someone trying to ruin it for the majority... :(