Fortec Passion + (jammed on changing channel)

nightworker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion +
My Location
Devon
Hi everyone, have not been around for a while (Fortec Passion + has been working fine), have a major problem with my receiver - on changing channel to BBC HD the unit seems to have frozen in a loop

Loader v1.5 to Passion + to BBC HD and then repeats constanly, remote doesnt work and I cannot access the menu to retune or reload software, really stuck on how to fix it, any ideas would be most welcome

Ratchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402(M2), TBS 6983, Sky+ HD, Stab USALS HH100, Faval 1M, Triax TD54, Hauppauge HD PVR
My Location
Falkirk
nightworker said:
Hi everyone, have not been around for a while (Fortec Passion + has been working fine), have a major problem with my receiver - on changing channel to BBC HD the unit seems to have frozen in a loop

Loader v1.5 to Passion + to BBC HD and then repeats constanly, remote doesnt work and I cannot access the menu to retune or reload software, really stuck on how to fix it, any ideas would be most welcome

Try re-loading the firmware on bootup. Do a hard power off with the front panel switch then plug in a USB stick with the firmware on it. Power the box on again and the display panel should read 'File 1' or a different number depending on the number of DNL files on the stick. Now press the 'OK' button on the front panel (not the remote). If the firmware is the only DNL file on the stick press 'OK' again. The firmware will now load and the box will reboot on completion (remove the stick). You should now have the option to do a factory reset.

nightworker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion +
My Location
Devon
Ratchet said:
Try re-loading the firmware on bootup. Do a hard power off with the front panel switch then plug in a USB stick with the firmware on it. Power the box on again and the display panel should read 'File 1' or a different number depending on the number of DNL files on the stick. Now press the 'OK' button on the front panel (not the remote). If the firmware is the only DNL file on the stick press 'OK' again. The firmware will now load and the box will reboot on completion (remove the stick). You should now have the option to do a factory reset.

Thanks Ratchet,

Worked a treat, all up and running again with latest firmware Jan '08.

Once again many thanks

Strat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec HD Passion+
65cm Dish and 'correctly skewed' LNB supplied in Maplin kit.
My Location
Yorkshire
A couple of weeks ago my HD Passion+ decided to crash and reboot on selecting BBC HD.
I have tried the reload of firmware etc as outlined above with no luck.
I don't currently have an HD TV so no great loss at the moment.
Has anything changed on BBC HD to cause this as nothing has changed on my STB.

Ratchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402(M2), TBS 6983, Sky+ HD, Stab USALS HH100, Faval 1M, Triax TD54, Hauppauge HD PVR
My Location
Falkirk
Strat said:
A couple of weeks ago my HD Passion+ decided to crash and reboot on selecting BBC HD.
I have tried the reload of firmware etc as outlined above with no luck.
I don't currently have an HD TV so no great loss at the moment.
Has anything changed on BBC HD to cause this as nothing has changed on my STB.

The only thing to have changed recently with regards to BBC HD was the introduction of 'Red Button' interactive services a few weeks back. It should not have affected the way the Passion handles the channel as the box does not have the interactive software. I have seen reports on other forums as well for this problem and the timing all coincided with the red button stuff so must be related.

Personally I'm not interested in all the 7 day EPG updates that have been included with the latest firmware and am still using version 1.1.4 from June last year. For me this is the most stable FW release. Have you tried different versions of the firmware, I see that the Fortec Star site has 3 versions available to download at the moment. It has the latest (Jan 09), previous (Oct 08) and older (July 08). Just make sure you download the right version (i.e. 'HD Passion+' not 'HD Passion'). An alternative could be to try beta versions available from Sataid but you have to register there first.

Strat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec HD Passion+
My Location
Yorkshire
Thanks Ratchet
I have the HD Passion+ and the latest firmware for that is July 7th 2008 which I have installed.
I did try the Passion+ HD firmware until I realised it was a different STB :confused
"Let's find a way to confuse customers"

Ratchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Falkirk
Strat said:
Thanks Ratchet
I have the HD Passion+ and the latest firmware for that is July 7th 2008 which I have installed.
I did try the Passion+ HD firmware until I realised it was a different STB :confused
"Let's find a way to confuse customers"

Strat, have another look on the Fortec Star site as I can see 3 versions on the download page as well as the loader update. From the top there is

Firmware Passion+ HD Receiver ( January 07, 2009)
Firmware Passion+ HD Receiver ( October 31, 2008)
Firmware HD Passion +(plus) ( July 07, 2008)
Loader Update ( May 13, 2008)

These are all for the Passion+, the original Passion has its own download page. Just make sure the downloaded file begins P2_AV..... the files for the original Passion begin P_AV....

kosovac

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star HD riciver
My Location
Serbia
I asked colleagues from the forum if this receiver there is a patch to work Digi TV package, and if someone can guide him in the insertion of EMU
Hello

Strat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec HD Passion+
My Location
Yorkshire
@Ratchet I currently have the 7th July 08 version V1.0.2
I found that the later versions caused problems such as no preview on EPG and an inability to hold a Favourites selection.

nightworker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion +
My Location
Devon
After I reloaded the software to sort out the jammed BBC HD channel, I also noticed that there was no EPG also ALL channels are now numbered 0000.

Think I'll try and go back to the previous version.

lopos2000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Passion+
My Location
UK
You have to do a Factory Reset to get Channel info and epg to work.