Fortec Star 150cm offset dish - any good opinions on it?

BombedOne

Regular Member
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Hello.

As I mentioned previously, getting larger than 1.5m dish here is very problematic. Currently I have 150cm primefocus antenna:

_ttp://www.gessat.com.tr/default.asp?s=3&p=1,7,18

Which declared gain on Ku band is 43db (through not mentioned, in mid band or upper band).

At one of the local shops, I've spotted this dish for a reasonable price:

_ttp://www.fortecstar.com/estore/storefront/default.asp?ProductID=28&CategoryID=8

Gain said to be 44.26 db (but in highest freq. where gain is better always).

I'm thinking to upgrade my dish, to be able to have some weather resistance of signal for Astra 1M european transponders. How do you think, how much improvement will I receive, if let's say, difference in gain will be 44.26-43=1.26db ? Does it worth it or not?
 
Any ideas anyone?
 
If its anything like the FS 1.8m avoid at all costs - the 1.8m is cheaply pressed with the structural strength of wet tissue paper. Our member wod had one - it folded up in the winter storms a couple of years ago and the dish face was removed in a couple of black plastic bags.... Its all detailed on the forum if you use the search.
 
Yep, the 1.5 is equally flimsy and very difficult to get good results from.
 
I was able to check only 1.2m model closely so far.

What makes me really worried is it's strange attachment mechanism. Dish itself seemed quite strong (I've hit it with my fist using boxers glove, in the middle with as much force as I can, to turn it inside out. But I was unsuccessfull.

1.5m ones scheduled to arrive in a few days, so I'll go and check them very trougfully...
 
It's not that difficult to construct a single piece 1.5m reflector based on the mathematical formula, so I wonder why many fail once it becomes an industry.
 
Channel Hopper said:
It's not that difficult to construct a single piece 1.5m reflector QUOTE]

Hi,

I think it's very difficult to construct a 1.5m dish antenna to work in KU band. There are no books on how to do it, no DIY manuals, no magazine articles, no guides, no FAQ's, no tutorials. I have never heard of any 'open days' at dish manufacturers' factories. It's a trade secret.
 
go to alibaba.com, choose any dish manufacturer company, check their profile video. Most times they'll show you the heart - THE PRESS :) which is used to make dishes.
 
BombedOne said:
go to alibaba.com, choose any dish manufacturer company, check their profile video. Most times they'll show you the heart - THE PRESS :) which is used to make dishes.

Unless it is a spun dish, which used to be the standard for prime focus stuff of 1.2m and above.
Pressing steel does have its own unique side effects.
 
Back
Top