Fortec Star Beta - No setup menu problem?

kreedawl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SILVERCREST SL65 FTA
My Location
NORTHERN IRELAND
Hi, can any one help please with FS Beta receiver box. just aquired one hooked it up to existing dish but when turned on no set up menu appears on screen. stb led screen shows `on` for about 20 secs then goes blank, on tv screen blue box appears with `congratulatory` and `enjoy` message then after about 20 secs goes grey with a thin vertical speckelled line. (tv connected via scart) any help or suggestions to correct problem would be greatly appreciated. THANKS in ADVANCE

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If no menus show when pressing the menu button on the remote, then it is likely that the box is knackered, I have heard of quite a few which have had problems. You may be able to download the software from the Fortecstar website, _http://www.fortecstar.com/downloads/index.asp?products=86%2C1 you will need a Null modem cable.

kreedawl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SILVERCREST SL65 FTA
My Location
NORTHERN IRELAND
Thanks for reply. i have a null modem cable. Does the software you recommend come with full instructions and downloader/editor etc? will check the site out anyways.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes I believe it does, but the standard procedure is to switch the receiver off at the mains, connect the cable, start up the upload program, press connect and then power up the receiver. :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
rolfw said:
Yes I believe it does, but the standard procedure is to switch the receiver off at the mains, connect the cable, start up the upload program, press connect and then power up the receiver. :)

Yes that is the required procedure for the Fortec Beta, I had one for a very short time. It kept losing all the scanned channels and generally getting itself in a mess, so I got shot of it.:)

kreedawl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SILVERCREST SL65 FTA
My Location
NORTHERN IRELAND
Been to fortec star site and downloaded uploader and firmware. tried to flash but the uploader keeps saying that the .img file is invalid. Tried re-downloading files from fortec site (3 times) but still same, all files were virus checked even scanned my pc to make sure of no infection. fortec site is rubbish for instructions for beta model (non existant) so thanks for your posts on that matter. SO NOW WHAT! can anyone please point me in any direction to find firmware for this model that works please. Thanks for all replies.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The firmware from the company will be correct, but of course, it may be that whoever had the box before you, loaded some incorrect firmware, or the boot loader is damaged. The only answer may be to get a new receiver.

kreedawl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SILVERCREST SL65 FTA
My Location
NORTHERN IRELAND
oh well. was just hoping i could utalise it as a second receiver/back up. Can anything be salvaged from the stb ie:- canabilised for spare parts etc, or is it a case of just throwing (against a wall) i mean binning

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
You could try the al7bar-soft website, it may have more software/loaders available.

Robbo:)

kreedawl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SILVERCREST SL65 FTA
My Location
NORTHERN IRELAND
tried alot of sites including that one, they only have loaders that accept .bin files and i need a loader to flash .img orignal firmware file from fortec star. well i`ll keep looking, bin collection day is tuesday so i will give it up to then. Thanks for advice

eddy64

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortecstar beta, fortecstar lifetime II, amd phenom pc with 4 gb ram running vista
My Location
sheffield,uk
i fixed my beta which had the same problem, tried a lot of thngs and finally got it working by flashing it with the alpha software from the fortecstar site