Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Just had my letter today!

Now I really MUST see whether the old one is actually faulty...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Just get some pliers and pull the live and neutral pins, they'll come out too easily... :-rofl2

Got mine all stripped, just need to touch up the soldering so it looks like it wasn't soldered by a drunken chimp, then I'll sort the project box out with holes and wiring and all that... :D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
They're never going to catch them all

_http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=lime+saving+plug&_sacat=0&_odkw=lime+plug&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Well, the sellers will get the recall letters, and if they don't inform the buyers, then, they're in trouble... :-rofl2

I wonder if anyone has told ebay to post a notice about the recall of the dodgy Lime plugs? :confused

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Finally put the gubbins in an electronics box, not that easy a task, but it's all in and probably works, I just need to fit a PTM button (to replace the now inaccessible one on the PC:cool: and to re-route the status LED to the outside of the casing, then I'll try it out... :)

Probably be another week or so before that's done... :-rofl2

T1154

T1154
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
Fixed dishes forAstra2 Atlantic bird 3 and astra 1
Sky box, Humax Viaccess, Humax HD freesat,strong 6410
My Location
S W France [47]
I have come across many installations where boxes are stacked on top of one another with total diregard for ventilation .And worse still installed in a closed cabinet!
I fit spacers between all my stuff and have never so far suffered a PU failure And I can tell that where I live summers can be very hot .T1154

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
This recall is down to the potential danger of the design, not the rating of the components inside.

Any equipment design can come unstuck as a result of poor consideration during the install, however, on the plus side it keeps a number of people in the business gainfully employed

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well, the replacement arrived, and they must have read this thread cos they say I don't have to return the defective device, though under WEEE regulations, they are obliged to take the defects back and dispose of them properly, despite what they say in the note below... :confused

They probably say to "chuck it in the bin", as they so carefully re-wrote into something fancy, cos it'll cost a bomb to send them back to china, and they don't want to do that... :-rofl2

Still, I now have two of these things, which is handy, even though they no longer look alike... :D

Attachments

• limethingy.jpg
    limethingy.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 23

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Nice of them to suggest the householder now travels to the nearest WEEE disposal point (ours is 4 miles away).

What's the model number for the replacement unit ?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
Nice of them to suggest the householder now travels to the nearest WEEE disposal point (ours is 4 miles away).

What's the model number for the replacement unit ?

Yeah, they sent out the faulty goods, they are responsible for disposal, kind of a bit of bad press really when they "recall" them, but then decided to tell people to chuck them out... :confused

The model of the one I got is the ES1016, the predecessor I guess, can't get inside it cos they used some weird version of tri-wing screws, and I can't defeat it... :confused

I've yet to try it out, just as before, but the back of the TV is now easier to access, so I should be able to get it hooked up and set up... :)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
A lot of the older style case security screws can be overcome with a flatblade watchmaker's screwdrver. To get a sutable shape and reasonable leverage, use a wirecutter to nibble away one, or both corners of the blade.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
A lot of the older style case security screws can be overcome with a flatblade watchmaker's screwdrver. To get a sutable shape and reasonable leverage, use a wirecutter to nibble away one, or both corners of the blade.

Yeah, only problem is a flat blade can't be made into three points, with the middle being higher than the outside, kind of looks like the radiation symbol, the black bits being the high points, and the yellow bits being the cutout sections... :(

I'll work something out, to date there have been very few screws that have defeated my attempts at breaking into electronics... :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I've had a play with the plug, and it's a bit temperamental as to when it responds to the remote I was using, I was just using it to switch a light on and off, just to see how well it worked... :)

I suppose when the thing's set up in a fixed position, it'll be fine, but, we'll see... :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It might well be temperamental with lights ................ if it was an Incandescent Bulb, then the load is vaguely inductive with other odd characteristic thrown in during the time it take the filament to heat up. If it was a CFL, then their load characteristics are even weirder.

PS: An Incandescent Bulb is not one which strongly objects to being woken up .......................... ("Frankly, I was livid")

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Tivù said:
It might well be temperamental with lights ................ if it was an Incandescent Bulb, then the load is vaguely inductive with other odd characteristic thrown in during the time it take the filament to heat up. If it was a CFL, then their load characteristics are even weirder.

PS: An Incandescent Bulb is not one which strongly objects to being woken up .......................... ("Frankly, I was livid")

Well, it was more a case of the thing responding to the remote, rather than switching the light on or off (that's what the relay inside is for)... :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ah, right-ho. I was too busy listening to the Cricket to pay full attention to your actual words!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Tivù said:
Ah, right-ho. I was too busy listening to the Cricket to pay full attention to your actual words!

hehe, I'm used to it, people never really listen to me... :p

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Tivù said:

Reminds me of this

[tube]beCYGm1vMJ0[/tube]

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Exactly what I had in mind, but couldn't quite recall the exact punch line.

Obviously it was close enough to stir the memories of others, so thanks for the clip - enjoyed seeing it again.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
My ES1017 finally died last night, so I'll pull it apart later on and take some pictures. There are standard crosspoint screws holding the lid in place, not rivets. No smell of burning/charring though, so itcould be a naruall death. A pity it expired so young though, I'd say its been used for around 1000 hours, and operated four times a day, passing no more than 1A through the switch at any time .

The replacement is already in place.