Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
May be of interest for anyone with school age children or if you are active in a school environmental club

http://www.treeforall.org.uk/

You can get a pack of 30 tree saplings posted out to the school.

Also plenty of other ideas for individuals, & community groups.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
First Computers for schools, now Trees for schools!!! :D

Whatever next? :D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Free computers is a grade one con from Tesco. It took my work place 3 years to collect enough coupons for a solitary computer. We would have been better off if every parent had sent in a couple of quid once during the promotion, and ripped up the coupons. Small schools dont have a chance in hell of gathering enough tokens for anything worthwhile.

The only people who get anything worthwhile out of it is the local supermrket - I cant remember the exact figures but it equates to many thousands of pounds worth of spend in the supermarket for one computer

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Analoguesat said:
Free computers is a grade one con from Tesco. It took my work place 3 years to collect enough coupons for a solitary computer. We would have been better off if every parent had sent in a couple of quid once during the promotion, and ripped up the coupons. Small schools dont have a chance in hell of gathering enough tokens for anything worthwhile.

The only people who get anything worthwhile out of it is the local supermrket - I cant remember the exact figures but it equates to many thousands of pounds worth of spend in the supermarket for one computer

My nephew's school is collecting those, but I've never shopped at Tesco myself though, so it's no good to me!!! Plus they hape plenty of computers built by a local company (a rival to the one I was working for at that!!!) so they probably don't need a Tesco cheap-o computer!!!

And anyway, when I was in primary school, the only computers we had were the old old old BBC Micro with a CUB monitor!!! By the end though when I left school there were plenty of computers at secondary school, and all the Acorns & BBC's were gone, and I wich I got the one with the software that seemed to be like what the BBC actually used or their weather maps in the late 80's... :D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
We still have a couple of working BBC Micros :D They are used in the music dept for music related games. They are the bane of my life and I refuse point blank to have anything to do with them!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:
We still have a couple of working BBC Micros :D They are used in the music dept for music related games. They are the bane of my life and I refuse point blank to have anything to do with them!

I used to have a BBC Emulator on my old PC, I loved mucking about with it, but I never could figure out how to work it properly, and come to think of it, I never could work a real one properly!!! :D

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Quality equipment. Acorns are still used in quite a few places too. A few weeks ago I was reading about quite a big study where they had used locomotor monitoring equipment, it said something like "all activity was monitored and recorded on an Acorn computer" I'm surprised they still turn on, but people seem happy to use them to record important data that can't easily be recreated.