Freesat box and hearing aid device

fatfairy2005

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat with AVR and 5.1
My Location
Cheshire
I'm planning to connect up my Freesat box to a Bluetooth device that works with my hearing aids. Currently the Freesat is connected to an avr by HDMI which then passes on the video signal to the TV, with sound passed to 5.1 speakers. If I now connect a Toslink cable to the optical out on the Freesat box in order to pass audio to the hearing aid Bluetooth device am I likely to run into any problems, i.e. conflict between the optical out and the HDMI out? Many thanks for any thoughts on this.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Does the bluetooth device require a stereo signal or can it work with 5.1? The Freesat 4K manual suggests it can output either over optical but doesn't mention if this affects what is sent over HDMI.

fatfairy2005

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat with AVR and 5.1
My Location
Cheshire
I believe the Bluetooth device works with stereo, hearing aids have a way to go to deliver 5.1!

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
I believe the Bluetooth device works with stereo, hearing aids have a way to go to deliver 5.1!
A bluetooth device might be able to mix 5.1 down to stereo but it should state in the manual if it requires a stereo only input. It may be best to ask Freesat support if the 4K receiver can simultaneously output bitstream over HDMI and stereo over optical.

fatfairy2005

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat with AVR and 5.1
My Location
Cheshire
A bluetooth device might be able to mix 5.1 down to stereo but it should state in the manual if it requires a stereo only input. It may be best to ask Freesat support if the 4K receiver can simultaneously output bitstream over HDMI and stereo over optical.
Yes I did approach Freesat on this very point, the answer was fudged to put it best!