Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite as yet.
Looking to install freesat
My Location
Wiltshire
Hi all you 'techies' out there!
Yep I'm totally new to this forum. - In fact to any forum!!:-doh2

Looking through a whole stack of your threads, I haven't come across anything relating to my query? - Still what do I know? - That's why I've come to you guys.
I wondered if any of you can help this 'satellite virgin' gain some experience?:confused

I'm looking to install freesat+
I have no satellite at present
I have a Panasonic HD Ready TV with Freeview.
BUT I have access to a satellite 'package' obtained from Screwfix. - The kit contains 60cm dish/LNB/and receiver etc. - Apparently suitable for 'Hotbird', 'Astra', 2A, 2B, 2D and 'Eurobird' satellites.

Can I make use of this gear or do I need to start from scratch?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum Earnest Lee

Yes you can make use of it you just need to read some of the dish setup tutorials here, this type of question is asked many times on the forum but we cannot re-invent the wheel everytime.

It is quite straightforward and there are plenty of members will to help out if you get stuck. You do not mention sat cable do you have any?

Earnest Lee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite as yet.
My Location
Wiltshire
Cheers Topper,
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. - I'll check out the tutorials and come back a genius!!!!!
Oh yeah. - I have cable. - 75ohm, 96x 0.12mm/0.65mm.
Catch u later.

Earnest Lee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite as yet.
My Location
Wiltshire
To think I only started out last week with the intention of buying a Humax PVR. - Now..................... My brain hurts!!!!!!

Still unsure as to whether I should get the Screwfix satellite installed or not?

From the tutorials I've looked at, it seems that there wouldn't be any problem in utilising the dish and LNB but I'd still have to obtain a Freesat receiver (or Freesat+ should I want to record channels?)

Am I right? Am I? Am I?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Hi Earnest Lee, this guide here in particular might be of some interest.

With 'Freesat plus' your require a twin LNb for record functionality along with a suitable twin tuner receiver like the Humax HDR for example.

SM

Earnest Lee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite as yet.
My Location
Wiltshire
Thanx satellite man.
The links are very useful and informative.
Is it me or is choosing between Freeview+ or Freesat+ a 'no brainer'?

I'm looking at around £70 installation/set up costs for my existing satellite, plus the cost of the Freesat+ box. (around £200?)
For Freeview+ I've still to shell out around £200 for the box any way and
1. I won't receive HD broadcasts
2. I won't receive the same number of channels

I think the decisions already been made for me

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
like you said Earnest it is a no brainer and it is also now, freeview HD will not be available until sometime this year which could mean anything freesat HD is available now

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
Earnest Lee said:
..................... My brain hurts!!!!!!

Still unsure as to whether I should get the Screwfix satellite installed or not?

on the Screwfix satellite package... they look the same as B & Q have been selling for £10 less... the stbs have problems controlling motors .. diseqc or USALS.. we only got them to work with the dearer stabs motors.. the brackets are very weak and often bent - good blind scan and very sensitive tuner and largely good software, the free cable and bits are poor, the lnb and dish face are ok.

Earnest Lee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite as yet.
My Location
Wiltshire
Thanx for the heads up Pedro.

I'll obviously need to install twin LNB for Freesat HD
I will check out the bracket and upgrade the cable to PF105C?
I assume installing the motor is a must for remote positioning to pick up the different satellites?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
If your looking at screwfix then items required:

Dish pack: _http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88969/Electrical-Supplies/TV-Range/Aerials-Fixings/Satellite-Dish-With-Bracket-Arm-Dark-Grey-60cm-LNB

Quad LNB: _http://www.screwfix.com/prods/69582/Electrical-Supplies/TV-Range/Aerials-Fixings/Labgear-Quad-LNB

Although these items are readily available from many suppliers as is a Humax HDR with freesat EPG.

Earnest Lee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite as yet.
My Location
Wiltshire
You are a star SM
Thanx.

M:W

Earnest Lee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite as yet.
My Location
Wiltshire
Hey satelliteman.
Just thinking out loud......................... Humour me please. - Why do I need Quad LNB and not Twin?
I guess I'm being a bit thick?!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
They do not make a twin LNb anymore for the Zone 2 dish, that is assuming your going to use this dish. It's always handy to have extra ports for future use, maybe a bedroom freesat satellite receiver.

Earnest Lee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite as yet.
My Location
Wiltshire

j0hn000

Reaction score
satelliteman said:
Hi Earnest Lee, this guide ........ in particular might be of some interest.

With 'Freesat plus' your require a twin LNb for record functionality along with a suitable twin tuner receiver like the Humax HDR for example.

SM

Also thanks for the info'.

The Screwfix receiver has a potentially interesting remote button "TV/VCR". Pressing this switches the 7 segment display to "TV", & keeps the video output just the same as before the key press. However, I'm unclear on its purpose, as measuring the voltage on pin 8 of the scart, it reads 12 volts when the display shows channel numbers, & 3 volts when switched to "TV". As it is most dual scart devices seem to recognise a device switched on down the chain, & pass that signal through the second scart automatically. I was hoping it might allow *input* to the scart, as there's only 1 scart so no chance of normal daisy chaining if this is the box going to the telly.

So, any ideas why this exists on the Screwfix Labgear box please, or is there some other way to use it?

Thanks,
john

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I would think that just about all satellite, DVD and VCRs have this type of button. As you say it switches pin 8 on and off (3v is not recognised).

What this does is relinquish control of the TV so that, say, you could use your satellite receiver to record onto an external DVD recorder or VCR and watch something else on a TV chnnel.

It can also be used to re-establish priority if you have multiple devices connected to your TV. It does depend somewhat on the TV though as some only require 12v briefly to establish which scart connection has priority and others will stick doggedly on to whichever scart has 12v showing!

j0hn000

Reaction score
PaulR said:
What this does is relinquish control of the TV so that, say, you could use your satellite receiver to record onto an external DVD recorder or VCR and watch something else on a TV chnnel.

It can also be used to re-establish priority if you have multiple devices connected to your TV. It does depend somewhat on the TV though as some only require 12v briefly to establish which scart connection has priority and others will stick doggedly on to whichever scart has 12v showing!

Ok, thanks Paul.

I suppose the labgear receiver display showing "TV" is just a reminder that you have something being recorded, & thus don't inadvertently change channel.