freesat in Denmark

Bungalow Stew

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No set up yet, hence my joining!
My Location
Gentofte, Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi all, my first posting, and I know very little about satellite TV, so I hope someone can help. I am just moving to a house in Denmark (into a bungalow hence the name) to an area called Dyssegaard, a gnat's todger North of Copenhagen. I would like to receive freesat (I do not want the full SKY package however), but I have a couple of questions:
1: which satellite? I read on the Freesat website that, quote, 'Freesat broadcasts from the same fleet of satellites as Sky Digital, Astra 2A, Astra 2B, Astra 2C, Astra 2D and Eurobird 1'. Does this mean it is the whole Astra group, not just Astra 2D which focuses tightly on the UK? Does this then mean I just need a 50cm dish to pick up one of the Astra North Beams, eg 2A to receive the signal?
2: Once I find a satellite signal, which box, lnb do I get (will the local satellite fella know) and how do I get the card?

many thanks: if you can help you will be very welcome to drop by for a Carlsberg any time

Stewart

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome

1> All satellites are co-located at 28e
2> You can use any FTA satellite receiver or the dedicated freesat receiver which will give you the EPG (electronic programme guide)

Not sure of dish sizes but would guess 1.2M+ with c120 LNb for UK spot beam 2D

SM

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
It's only the 2D satellite which has the tightly focused beam. Unfortunately most of the Freesat channels (ITV, BBC, C4) are on this bird!

There are a few other Freesat channels on the other satellites at 28E but, frankly, they arent much use being mostly shopping channels.

Basically, choose a satellite dish size to receive 2D and the other satellites will also come booming in.

You don't need a card to receiver Freesat. In fact there isn't even a card slot or CI interface on a true Freesat receiver.

However, "Freesat from $ly" is different beast as it uses a normal $ly Digibox and if you use one of their "Freesat" cards you will also get Five and $ly 3. Perhaps this is where you've got this card business from.

puffin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 150 with an Inverto Black Ultra and a Pace 2600C1
My Location
Borlänge 200km WNW of Stockholm
Copenhagen do have a very weak signal as stated in the answer above. I don't think we have enough information about the Freesat boxes yet. There is a very big difference in the tuner in the Skyboxes. Some tuners can't get any signal from Astra 2D in your area (or where I live in central Sweden). The most sensitive tuner was the Pace 2600c1 where all channels come in 24/7 for me.
The signal strength is a bit weaker in Copenhagen than where I live. You could possible get away with the Gibertiny 150 but that will leave you with no weather reserve whatsoever. I doubt also if you could get both the channels with vertical and horizontal polarization (vertical is weaker). The Channel Master 180 would be a better choice but also a bit more expensive. If you don't know anybody that have succeeded to get freesat in Denmark I would suggest the Pace 2600c1 or the 430 (you can get them from ebay with a working card which would give you the same channels as freesat). Also very important is a good LNB. Invacom quad (QDF-031) or as some treads have suggested the cheaper but stated better maximum LNB
Cheers
puffin

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
Channel Master 1.8m with CM Feedhorn AZ/EL Mount. MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB LNB. Thomson Sky HD Decoder
System2..
Internet TV... Sweden's Telia Broadband service.
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
puffin said:
Copenhagen do have a very weak signal as stated in the answer above. I don't think we have enough information about the Freesat boxes yet. There is a very big difference in the tuner in the Skyboxes. Some tuners can't get any signal from Astra 2D in your area (or where I live in central Sweden). The most sensitive tuner was the Pace 2600c1 where all channels come in 24/7 for me.
The signal strength is a bit weaker in Copenhagen than where I live. You could possible get away with the Gibertiny 150 but that will leave you with no weather reserve whatsoever. I doubt also if you could get both the channels with vertical and horizontal polarization (vertical is weaker). The Channel Master 180 would be a better choice but also a bit more expensive. If you don't know anybody that have succeeded to get freesat in Denmark I would suggest the Pace 2600c1 or the 430 (you can get them from ebay with a working card which would give you the same channels as freesat). Also very important is a good LNB. Invacom quad (QDF-031) or as some treads have suggested the cheaper but stated better maximum LNB
Cheers
puffin

I am just over the water from Copenhagen in South Sweden. I use a 1.8m Channel Master. I can pick up 2D H channels ok, but suffers a little in heavy rain. 2D Vertical channels is a lost cause. However a fella on here in Lund receives 2D V channels ok for most periods in the day using the same dish.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Rabbit said:
I am just over the water from Copenhagen in South Sweden. I use a 1.8m Channel Master. I can pick up 2D H channels ok, but suffers a little in heavy rain. 2D Vertical channels is a lost cause. However a fella on here in Lund receives 2D V channels ok for most periods in the day using the same dish.

This highlights exactly the unpredictability of fringe reception, you can be lucky and in a hotspot or as in your case not so lucky