Freesat-quad LNB- Help!

Canary

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Normal Digi Panasonic skybox
My Location
Norfolk
Hi I have just joined this forum today as I am trying to get info on Freesat generally.
I am technically minded about most things but in the dark with sat systems.
I am thinking of buying a Freesat Humax HD receiver as I am fed up with Sky.
I just have a normal Panasonic Sky Digi receiver at the moment and want HD at some point. My friend has Sky Hd which is great but I simply cannot justify the extra cost outlay at this moment in time.

So I am thinking of buying a quad LNB-fitting to my existing dish so that I can keep Sky ( take card out and have free channels left-plus if Freesat isnt all its cracked up to be id have to go back to Sky) and add freesat to another channel.
I have one cable from existing dish to the box, my main question is (this is where I look a dork lol)
Do I need another cable to come down from the LNB or does one cable transfer all the info and then is split in the receiver box? I know this seems an obvious question but I am a noob at this.
Your help would be greatly appreciated:)
If someone has posted this previously about this subject soz but have missed it

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,

you just need to install the quad, and run a NEW cable to the FREESAT box, and use the existing cable to your Sky Digibox.

You CAN'T split it.

One thing to bear in mind is that the weight of the quad may mean that the dish needs tweaking a little, but worry about that if there is a problem.

Robbo:)

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
You don't need to take the sky card out, just leave it in and cancel Sky. It will continue to work on the scrambled free to view channels such as C4, Five and Sky Three.
Fitting a quad LNB and new cable is pretty easy, but as Robbo says the arm may droop a few millimeters and need easing upwards slightly if signal quality drops after the change over.
Make sure you waterproof the new connector. Self- amalgamating tape is best.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
As you're fitting a Quad you might think about running 2 extra cables down in case that, in the future, you want to use a receiver with twin inputs.

These twin input receivers are known as PVRs (Personal Video Recorders) as they have a hard disk internally and an extra tuner so that you can record one channel while watching another.

Canary

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Normal Digi Panasonic skybox
My Location
Norfolk
Ok cheers for the help guys- i might buy a new dish and bracket while im at it. :)