*HELP*

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky minidish
sky+ box
My Location
devon
Hello all,

I am leaving Sky this month (hooray!), and switching to Freesat. I have a Sky minidish and Sky+ box (will miss this!) and want to get myself a TV Recorder. I don't think i could stand going back to live tv for long so wondered what advice any of you could give me?

Sky tell me there is nothing i have to do as my viewing card will simply switch to Freesat and i can use my Sky box but NOT the Sky+ features.

What sort of money will i have to spend?

Does the recorder have to be a Freesat recorder?

As you can clearly see, i need *HELP*.

Thanks in advance!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
First of all the Freesat that $ly are talking about is "Freesat from Sky", essentially a $ly Digibox with a card. This is not the same as true Freesat, which is what you need to look at if you want recording capabilities.

What you need is a Freesat + box and they are just beginning to come on to the market I believe. Humax FoxSat-HDR is what you need and I would suggest that you contact some of our site sponsors to get a price and availability.

This will plug into your TV and needs the same two satellite connections that the $ly + box used in order to be able to record and view at the same time. Incidentally this is actually an HD receiver so you will be able to view a lot of programmes in HD when you get an HD ready TV!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Or you could pay sky £10 a month, just to use Sky+ recording. You would not get the HD channels though, and even with a Sky HD box, you would not get the very rarely transmitted ITV HD.

If you like Sky+, but don't want to pay their £10, then a Freesat recorder (as mentioned by PaulR) would be your best option, due to the EPG, which is not at all comprehensive on most other satellite receiver/recorders.

boyzie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+,NTL V+ box.
Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro laptop.
My Location
LONDON
The trouble is getting the Humax,it's near impossible to find one.

*HELP*

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky minidish
sky+ box
My Location
devon
Thanks Paul, i didn't even realise there was a $ky freesat and a TRUE freesat. The Humax box certainly looks the business. ;-)

Thanks Robbo, but i am leaving $ky so i don't have to pay them anymore!

boyzie, it took me less than a minute to find 24 of them! Try eBay. Even Homebase has them available for home delivery (1-2 days). At least in my postal area anyway.

Thanks for your help everyone..........

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Can't find the PVR listed on the Homebase site, they do have the single tuner HD receiver though.

*HELP*

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky minidish
sky+ box
My Location
devon
ROLFW - they have it under home delivery. Martindawes.net also have them in stock. :-)