FTA Cable tv

streetlighter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin V+HD XL Technomate 6800 Astra+Hotbird FTA on 60 cm dish
My Location
Cheshire
Hi,
Ive been told that if i was to connect into the wallplate for the cable tv and tune in my TV i would get all sorts of channels on my TV for nowt without the need for a decoder. Is this true ? Ive had people tell me they watch Discovery channel on a normal TV this way without a decoder box.

J

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
This is a satellite TV forum we do not discuss cable ....it is in the rules which obviously you must have read before posting :rolleyes:

streetlighter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire
Ah right sorry,guess ill just have to make up a lead and give it a go then !
J

toppervte33h said:
This is a satellite TV forum we do not discuss cable ....it is in the rules which obviously you must have read before posting :rolleyes:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As this isn't about hacking cable I'll answer this, but don't want cable threads to start developing. Some cable companies transmit some of their channels in the clear in the frequency band just below the standard UK UHF spectrum, they are then block converted to a standard frequency by the decoder. You can with some TVs tune to these lower frequencies and receive channels in the clear,. but as the cable companies roll out digital services, these are fast disappearing.

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
And this only works in ex c&w areas as telewest and pure ntl dont transmit such signals.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Generally, this only might have worked on - now defunct - analogue cable systems. Current ones are almost entirely digital, and use the the same encryption methods as satellite, requiring a valid viewing card.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
I guess that RTL 4 decoders or Mac-ro-vision "correctors" can't straighten up a scrambled analogue cable signal as eBay isn't flooded with 'em!

Those channels on a hyperband TV do look a bit like RTL 4 in the old days though.

IMHO VirgiNTLelewest need all the money they can get in their battle with BSkyB - and a BSkyB that's knocked out of it's complacency is something we all need. So if we want cable service we should really pay for it (but don't take any Sky premiums!)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I've tried this myself in the past, and I got Chanels 1 to 5 in the clear, and a couple of other things just using the standard UHF tuning on my TV, if I swich to VHF I can hear channels like sky one but the picture is so badly garbled it's hardly worth the effort. So, in my opinion, if you have no aerial and want analogue channels 1 to 5 then you can do this, otherwise, don't bother...

(I live in an ex cable & wireless area by the way)

streetlighter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire
Gave it a go the other night as the Sky was disconnected for buliding work. Used my coax link to the bedroom TV a 15inch Phillips LCD and connected it into the C&W box on the living room wall.
I got channels 1,2,3,4 and 5 in the clear and a scrambled Living TV. Im going to try with my other spare TV which can tune into hyperband cable TV channels.

J

2cvbloke said:
I've tried this myself in the past, and I got Chanels 1 to 5 in the clear, and a couple of other things just using the standard UHF tuning on my TV, if I swich to VHF I can hear channels like sky one but the picture is so badly garbled it's hardly worth the effort. So, in my opinion, if you have no aerial and want analogue channels 1 to 5 then you can do this, otherwise, don't bother...

(I live in an ex cable & wireless area by the way)