FTA Tokyo Olympics channels & feeds

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Out come the excuses.

We know that our audiences love the Olympics and we set a high bar for ourselves with our London 2012 coverage and since we began on Friday, there’s been lots of noise around our perceived lack of coverage for the Tokyo Games. Whilst we’d love to still have 24 live streams and our ‘never miss a moment’ offer from London and Rio in 2016, our new rights deal simply doesn’t allow it. In 2016 we announced that the IOC had awarded the pan-European rights for the Olympics to Discovery, meaning that free-to-air broadcasters across Europe had to carve out their own sub-licence deals with Discovery. The result for all European broadcasters was less coverage of the Games, and for us, it means that we’re allowed two live streams - one on BBC One and one that is available to play out on BBC iPlayer, red button and the BBC Sport website.

Eurosport from memory was obliged to provide FTA coverage of the games whilst Discovery held the rights (available on 19E - standard definition), and is delivering full coverage across the planet - insofar as their camerawork allows, but not in the UK.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Eurosport's TV coverage hasn't been great, I wonder if the 7 extra channels that popped up on a few packages across Europe all show the same exact events as they don't appear to be tailored for UK viewers.

The vague EPG doesn't help either.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
That half-baked iten minutes with Dina Asher-Smith earlier is getting both barrels tonight.

With luck the BBC will be at least one cameraman and interviewer less before the closing ceremony.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
The interviewer is her mate, which makes me wonder if they already knew about the injury but kept quiet in order to keep the hype train going..

Then there was Djokovic's tantrum in the bronze play off :oops:

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
BBC RB HD is currently showing beach volleyball...

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Looking for live weightlifting if anyone has seen it anywhere. No doubt the women's +87kg event will be on everywhere..

Surprise surprise, it is going to be live on BBC One :blink:

Also this:
:N

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
One would have thought they would be given two silvers, or perhaps gold and silver medallions cut in half.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Is everyone interviewed trackside by the BBC obliged to thank the national lottery?

Also the Eurosport red button currently loads a Sky Sports Golf please wait screen before crashing back to Eurosport :-ohmy :lol: