FTV cards switching off

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
I have three reports today of people with free to view cards getting a message on screen stating that their cards will switch off soon and to contact a number.
One of them rang and was told that all free to view cards will switch off and the only way of getting ch4 and 5 etc will be by subscribing.
Can it get any worse???????? :mad:

G

guest user

i have a fta card and i never got a message saying i will loose channels

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
The following link should clear things up a bit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/dsat_card_never_sky.shtml

Basically if you have an old, light blue card then it will stop working in a few weeks. If you have an new dark blue card then it will continue to working until Sky change there encription again.

What is going to happen with
my Sky Card

If you have a Free-to-View, or 'Solus' card
(You have never paid monthly fee to Sky, or any other broadcaster)

This card is very likely to be pale blue with the words “Sky Digital” printed on it, and will very shortly cease working to the best of our knowledge mid to end of August. Ultimately SKY will decide the day they will switch off the cards, this is not within the control of the BBC.

IF YOUR CARD IS PALE BLUE
(1st Generation and obtained before Feb 2003, with the words 'SKY Digital' branded onto it)

You will still get the BBC channels that are “Free-to-Air”, and the correct regional (or national) version of BBC ONE at 101, and BBC TWO England at 102, for approximately two weeks after card deactivation. The box will then default to BBC ONE London at 101, and BBC TWO England at 102, independent of where you live in the UK. Your local BBC regional output will be available in the 900’s numbers of the EPG. However without your viewing card you will lose ITV, Channel Four, and Channel Five, unless you start subscribing to a pay-TV package..

We are unable to answer questions on non-BBC services, any enquiries relating to ITV,CH4 and CH5 should be directed to the individual broadcaster..

IF YOUR CARD IS DARK BLUE
(With a picture of a yellow house on it, and was received after February 2003)

You will get access to all the
FREE-TO-AIR channels,
& the FREE-to-VIEW CHANNELS..

You will get your correct regional (or national) version of BBC ONE and BBC TWO, plus your localised ITV region, at channels 101, 102 and 103 respectively..

Additionally, if you live in England, your local version of BBC ONE will appear at channel 101 when it is launched at the end of July.

If you live in Wales you will get S4C at Channel 104, instead of Channel Four.

You will be able to get all the other regional & national variants of BBC 1 & 2 from the BBC in the 900 numbers on the EPG from the end of July, independent of where you live.

This card will also cease to function when SKY change their encryption again in the future. We are not able to say at this time how long the dark blue card will continue to function; we will provide further information when it becomes available. When this card ceases to function you will lose ITV, Channel Four, and Channel Five, unless you start subscribing to a pay-TV package.

We are unable to answer questions on non-BBC services, any enquiries relating to ITV,CH4 and CH5 should be directed to the individual broadcaster.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks Cjgall, that would seem to answer most questions.

PS, took the liberty of copying the FAQ onto your post. :)

Smith

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi there,
we have an FTA card,but haven`t had the on screen message yet.So far the only problems we have had was the breaking up of the picture of BBC in bad weather and in the mornings.We are located in Germany,in the Hannover area.If we are to lose Ch5and 4 and have to get a SKYsubscription how do we get one-without having any contacts in the UK?Any tips?

andrewhaxton

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have two recievers with ftv cards registered to two different areas one Scotland and one london area, the Scottish one is telling me I am about to lose channels but the English isn´t (yet). What worries me is that the message is also coming up on Sky News anyone Know if thats going as well.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
Andrew, which type of card are you using in your receivers?

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
The message has reached Spain,and is showing on some of my ftv boxes.I hope it will only show in bursts and not all the time until it switches of permanantly...........brian

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
I know of two people who have lost ch4 and 5 on monday,but i havent found out which cards they were eg ftv old or new,or ex pay cards.

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm in southern Greece. I started getting the message today on channels 4, 5 and Sky News all the time, very annoying but I've been watching 'Key Largo' on TCM for an hour or so with no sign of the message there. Looks like its good old Greek TV for me. Must get studying!

andrewhaxton

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
cjgall said:
Andrew, which type of card are you using in your receivers?

Both are the older pale blue cards.
But the Really bad news is that the Scottish reciever is no longer able to pick up Sky news, Itv news, or TCM. All these channels say no satellite signal recieved, the English reciever connected by twin LNB to the Scottish is fine. Now Im just confused anyone Know whats going on?

frassle

Non-Activated User
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
andrewhaxton said:
Both are the older pale blue cards.
But the Really bad news is that the Scottish reciever is no longer able to pick up Sky news, Itv news, or TCM. All these channels say no satellite signal recieved, the English reciever connected by twin LNB to the Scottish is fine. Now Im just confused anyone Know whats going on?

The Scottish one shouldn't be affected. I'm using one too. The frequencies for TCM etc are just the same, sounds more like a digibox fault you have there.

FRAZER

Reaction score
Here is part of a reply I received from the culture department today;

"...Once the existing cards are disabled, access to these services will cease and in the longer term it could be that the commercial public service channels may consider alternative arrangements if they wish
to continue to provide free-to view access to their services by satellite.

I should clarify that there are provisions in the Communications Bill,
presently before Parliament, empowering OfCom to require/approve the
provision of arrangements to ensure reception of a 'must provide' satellite
service (as defined in the Bill and subject to modification by the Secretary of State). However, we hope that this situation can be satisfactorily resolved without the need to use legislation.

Finally, you will wish to know that Tessa Jowell has written to the
respective Chief Executives of ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and BSkyB seeking clarification regarding their position over current and future free-to-view access to their services on digital satellite. We will publish the results of those enquiries on the digital television website
www.digitaltelevision.gov.uk as soon as it is possible to do so."

So it seems that at present the government are relying on some impetus from the relevant channels themselves to resolve the issue; which I fear could mean a period of inaction, unless the matter is felt to be sufficiently important for them to force the issue.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Well,it looks like everybody here is getting the message now on their old FTV cards,some occasionally,some every few minutes.Does anyone know when they go off?
Anyway,when Sky started wasn't it a policy that all terestrial free channels should be repeated on the sky platform for free? To pay for a package to get the free channels is a direct contradiction,no?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm convinced that an answer will be found Zorba, but it may well, in fact it almost certainly will involve getting a new card and possibly paying a one off charge.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
rolfw said:
I'm convinced that an answer will be found Zorba, but it may well, in fact it almost certainly will involve getting a new card and possibly paying a one off charge.

Bit of a hassle,but favourable.Meanwhile,many people are enquiring about getting a subscription now,so Murdoch will be laughing all the way to the bank.It couldn't have worked out better for him,a couple of days after announcing 98 per cent profit increase

mill9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate Tm-7755 + 13/19/28° - PC Pentium Windows XP Pro
My Location
UK
andrewhaxton said:
I have two recievers with ftv cards registered to two different areas one Scotland and one london area, the Scottish one is telling me I am about to lose channels but the English isn´t (yet). What worries me is that the message is also coming up on Sky News anyone Know if thats going as well.

Sky News is a free service and does not require a viewing card

mill9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate Tm-7755 + 13/19/28° - PC Pentium Windows XP Pro
My Location
UK
bollywood said:
are we going to loose all news channels on the card too :rolleyes:

CNN, Euronews and ITV News Channel are free. If you take your card out then you can see what is free and what isn't. I would point out that Bloomberg and CNBC are pay channels on Sky but the latter is free on Astra 1 @ 19.2° east and Bloomberg on Hotbird @ 13.5 ° east

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I think I've read somewhere that $ly News will become encrypted soon.

PaulR