Funcard Questions

donQ

Reaction score
My Location
pj::
Hi, I just got a GBSat 2CI 20 to replace a Hyundai 800 CI, and was just using seca before, but as the GBSat is flashed for six providers decided to make a fun card. After a few attempts and a bit of experimentation I was successful, using a mix of files. I noted what I did for future use, but I now want to understand more about what I'm doing.
My main questions are what does the flash, eeprom internal and external files contain? Some 6 in 1 files for example don't have all three and have different names, so I had to work out which was which. I really want to know about these so I can maybe tweak and do other things myself to suit my receiver.
I use Cardwriter and a VXMulti prog.
Thanks for any help that can be given.

munkey

I luuurve Bananas
Reaction score
My Location
Whipsnade
A smart card is like a little computer. I will explain how it works in relation to a PC / Mac.

It has a eeprom which is like RAM in a PC. In a funcard this is an external eeprom (24C64).

It has a microcontroller (funcards have an Atmel one). This is the "brain". This part is equivilant to Pentium chip in a PC. It contains a bit of memory used to store a program. This is often called flash memory.

Basically, you have keys and other data in the eeprom, and these are applied by the software in the "Flash". One flash file can often be used with many different eeprom files.

If you want to tweak "flash" files you need a high level of expertise. If you want to tweak an eeprom, that is much easier thanks too some user friendly(ish) software. Try ISVEdit or PicBined if you really want to get stuck-in. I doubt that there is much you could acomplish that you couldn't do by just downloading a SatKoos file.

donQ

Reaction score
My Location
Hi, thanks for the info. You've given me a bit more of an idea of what the files do. I may not be able to do much in the way of tweaking them as you say, but maybe I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing if things don't work. I'll keep experimenting meantime.
About files from Satkoos and the like, why are there specific files for specific machines? What would be different in each file? Sorry to keep on with the questions.

munkey

I luuurve Bananas
Reaction score
My Location
Whipsnade
The latest Satkoos files seem to have different Eeprom files with various PMK's. PMK stands for Plain Masterkey. You could use any one of these files in place of any other. They are only really doing this for completeness.

As for different files for different receivers, I think the main issue is a small bit of information in the eeprom called the CoCo. This is short for Country Code. This is not as much of an issue as it used to be due to improvements in cam firmware. Where you see lots of folders in a file, each one different receiver - I think some people who make files just duplicate the same eeprom files many times. Maybe the do this so everyone knows exactly what file to use. Maybe they do this to show what receivers they have tested the files with. Then again, perhaps it is just done to make their package look more impressive.

donQ

Reaction score
My Location
Thanks for the info again, you have been very helpful. The reason I asked is that I was having difficulty with funcards. I just changed to a GBSat receiver and made a fun card, but it took a number of attempts. No one has files labelled GBSat, but I found I had to use three files from different sources to get it to work. I have to keep updating too, as they are not AU files. I am using an Irdeto cam and my receiver is patched for 6 providers.

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
I fancy there may be other GB Sat users about - can you tell us which files went together for you please..thanks!:cool:

donQ

Reaction score
My Location
After a lot of experimenting the combination that works best so far, clears most channels including P*lco on Hispasat (not Ticket though), are DaveM's fun6in1 flash v4.10, Dinko 6in1 ext ee and Kuba 5in1 int ee. I am still playing around for better results. These have to be updated regularly as codes (or ecm hits) seem to be changed so often. P*lco stutters very slowly on to the screen, other channels go for longer. Hope this helps.

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
Thanks for that - I wonder what files/bits others use - I guess it is very much trial and error at this stage until it gets sussed out more fully...:cool: