"Gadget" for watching ppv

peter in the bus

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
KENT
Hi everyone.
I've just had an anoymous e-mail from someone selling a device that enables you to watch ppv channels without having to pay for them.
It looks like it connects to your modem in the skybox. Anybody know anything about these devices and whether 1. They are legal 2. they work. 3. Is it a scam?

Best wishes
Peter

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Do a google search for the 9 Volt trick - its been around years..

1)of course they aint legal - nothing that allows you to watch ppv tv is legal

2) for a while until your card reaches its pre set credit limit.

3) yes its a scam in that if you think you will get free ppv for ever more you will be sadly mistaken

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

peter in the bus

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
KENT
Thanks guys, sorry for re-introducing an old chestnut!!
I hadnt seen it before (the device or the posts). It just seems like a very professionally done e-mail, with pictures, and even with a money back guarantee.

I feel sorry for anyone who falls for it.
Many thanks
Peter

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No apologies required Peter, unfortunately things like this do the rounds periodically, there are an awful amount of people around who can never plug their boxes back into a phone line, for fear of taking a sudden hit for PPV charges. :)

It serves to remind members that if something seems too good to be true, then it probably is. :)

peter in the bus

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
KENT
I've been giving this a little more thought...
This gadget will allow the watching of ppv until a set limit on the viewing card is reached...then what happens? Is there any way that $ky knows what is going on? The reason I ask is because I have several FTA cards lying around (they all work and come from broken receivers). Could I perhaps use one of these cards in conjunction with this gadget until the limit is reached and then just put another card in?
I haven't looked at this months listings but there might be 1 or 2 films worth watching over the xmas period?
Peter

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
What happens is that the card is then blocked from ordering any more ppv!

Proper freesatfromsky cards probably wont work as theres no account on them to order from.

No idea what will happen on old subs cards, but probably the same

Sky got wise to this years ago and reduced the amount of prepaid credit on the cards anyway - at one time it was about 50 quid......

peter in the bus

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
KENT
Thanks for all the info on this. I wont bother giving it any more thought! Using this gadget is a no-no! (saves me checking out the movies listings as well!)
Peter