Gaps in signal reception

MATHSMAN

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY,FREEVIEW,
Silvercrest DVB- S SL 65
My Location
North East England
I have a Comag ("Silvercrest SL 65" ex Lidl) box with the small 65cm dish supplied in NE England. I've been playing around with it for over a year with what I think are reasonable results(nothing to compare with however).
I have a clear sky from 60E to 50W. Dish access is easy and quick from window and even without using an attached signal meter I can tune in to major sat signals in seconds. This typically gives a 70%/70% signal yielding 300+or more FTA channels. However:- I can't raise TURKSAT or HISPASAT!
Other major sats such as Astras, Hotbird, Abirds, Hellas and Sirius are no problem, I've even had 560+ fta channels per sat on a good day. Why no Turksat or Hispasat??
As a relative "newbie" do I lack some fundamental "secret" knowledge re. polarity setting/ frequency setting/ antenna setup etc ??Aiming dish is not the problem, do I need to change some setting on a menu?I'm sure there's a hole in my knowledge, not my sky!!!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum MATHSMAN

Not sure what you are suggesting here, are you saying that the 2 sats inquestion are not in your sats listing or are you saying you cannot find them when searching?

Whilst you will not get some transponders on certains sats with such a small dish I would have expected your to get Hispasat,
_http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/hispa1d_eur.html as it is a stonking signal

Turksat could be more of a problem though especially if you are scanning on an East beam by mistake, although the west beam coverage should give a good signal on a 65cm.
_http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/turk3a_west.html

However how are you compensating for elevation when moving from one sat to the other? also how are you altering the skew when moving from one sat to the other or are you not bothering?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Given that the two Satellites quoted are probably the furthest East/West that you could possibly hope to achieve, on a good day, with that Dish, the crucial issue is probably LNB Skew (Assuming, as Topper refers to, that you are correctly adjusting Elevation as well as Azimuth........).

Looking from the LNB towards the Dish, the Skew needs to be moved further Clockwise the further East you go and further Anticlockwise the further West you go.

It may not be critical for strong Satellites nearer the South, but certainly assumes greater importance when you go towards the ends of your available arc.

MATHSMAN

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY,FREEVIEW,
Silvercrest DVB- S SL 65
My Location
North East England
Topper said:
Welcome to the forum MATHSMAN

Not sure what you are suggesting here, are you saying that the 2 sats inquestion are not in your sats listing or are you saying you cannot find them when searching?

Whilst you will not get some transponders on certains sats with such a small dish I would have expected your to get Hispasat,
_http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/hispa1d_eur.html as it is a stonking signal

Turksat could be more of a problem though especially if you are scanning on an East beam by mistake, although the west beam coverage should give a good signal on a 65cm.
_http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/turk3a_west.html

However how are you compensating for elevation when moving from one sat to the other? also how are you altering the skew when moving from one sat to the other or are you not bothering?
sats are listed in box index, I just can't get any signal response when aiming dish (Using Lyngsat figures from my location)in required direction.You may well be correct in suggesting "skew adjustment" as being reason for problem. I'm replacing Lidl dish with an old Sky dish which should be more responsive being 40%+ bigger in area. If this proves effective how can I add a "new" sat to my index??