Garlic Chicken - Not for dieting types...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Now this I love making, it's not healthy, it's not good for you, but boy oh boy does it taste amazing!!!

All you need is:

Chicken (whole, or parts of, complete with skin)
Garlic (fresh and Dried)
Butter, lots of it
Parsley, dried or fresh, couple of teaspoons

First off, soften the butter in the microwave so it's easily pliable, crush a couple of cloves (four for a whole chicken) of fresh garlic (don't forget to peel it), add a teaspoon of the dried stuff in there too, and add the parsley, mix it it in with the softened butter and set aside.

Take your chicken and stick your fingers under the skin to separate it from the flesh until you form a pocket, all the way into the legs, then the fun bit, start packing the butter under the skin and spreading it about so you have a layer of the lovely buttery garlicy stuff in there, saving a little to spread on the outside of the skin. Spread the remainder of the garlic butter mix onto the skin and grind a bit of black pepper over the lot (you won't need salt if you use salted butter). Stuffing is optional for a whole chook, and your choice of course.

All that's left is to cook as per the normal times and wear goggles, cos all that garlic will make your eyes weep while it's cooking, basting at regular intervals, if you have an extractor hood, put it on full. :-rofl2

Once it's done, use the buttery juices (with the oil separated) to make a nice Poop, serve with roast potatoes and other veg, and don't go out for a couple of days cos you'll stink... :D

I know it all sounds pretty extreme, but once the garlic cooks down, it is more mellow, and tastes very nice once the meat has absorbed the flavour. Could even be cooked on a rotisserie if you have one... :)

futumsch

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish, Pace MSS500 (analog) 19e
1m Channel Master fixed 26e, 1m dish, SG-100 motor, Inverto Black Ultra. Pace MSP 200, Humax F1 VACI
Jaeger 1224 mid restored. Fibo 1.2m.
My Location
Midlands, UK
2CVBloke, I've just tried this recipe with pheasant (cock bird). Although I skinned my pheasant instead of plucking it, hence no skin, shoving a few garlic cloves inside the cavity and a good basting over the meat every 10 minutes, the garlic complements it very well, as well as the roast potatoes cooked in the juice. Pheasant is a very lean meat, with barely any fat. And garlic is meant to be really good for you by thinning the blood doesn't it? Its going down the neck with few glasses Marseilette Syrah very nicely. Wine, well one year its good for you, next year its bad. who cares?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
hahaha sounds like a nice method of cooking chicken. In our home we like to do what we call popohuhn (transalted something like bumchicken) :-bighappy

It's basically a big ceramic dildo on which the unsuspecting chicken is impaled. The juice collects at the bottom. Very easy and very clean. I am getting hungry!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3491.JPG
    IMG_3491.JPG
    837.1 KB · Views: 32

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
futumsch said:
Wine, well one year its good for you, next year its bad. who cares?

"Good for you" and "Bad for you" things change every day, they say we shouldn't eat meat full stop cos it's "bad" for us!!! But, who cares? At the end of the day, it's your own body... :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
T_G said:
In our home we like to do what we call popohuhn (transalted something like bumchicken)

Interesting name for that way of cooking a chicken... :-rofl2

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I've done the 'stuff under the skin' for the Christmas dinner for quite a few years now. I can vouch for it transforming the turkey that most think of as 'traditional', though I rarely (two out of ten years) buy one.

I would however substitute half of the garlic for dried porcini. Not only does it help crispen up the skin, it also draws out the meat juices, which adds a unique mushroom flavour into the Poop. The butter is a perfect substitute for salt, and I add loads of pepper (ground or powder) in the mix, but it's not essential.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I see recipes as a guide, rather than a set standard, so adding other ingredients or taking away something is part of the joy of cooking, and when it's all cooked, you can taste your creation... :)