Gemini 4.5 problems

pos42

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000
My Location
Sweden
Hi

I am new to DM8000 but have used Linux/Unix since 15 years. I use the W-lan, and added HDD and a DVD-RW drive. I have tried the stock image, the Nabilo blackhole, PLI and lastly the Gemini 4.5. SO far I think the Gemini looks best and is the easiest to use for the rest of my family.

Problems:
Where is the Picture In Picture "PiP" button?
(It is in the stock and the Nabilo image but not in Gemini....)

Is there a way to successfully mount a CIFS drive? As a unix guy I of course found a workaround by adding an entry to /etc/fstab. But the gui does not work....

Burn DVD from PVR-button menu doesn't work as it goes through the "cut" editor which makes the dreambox reboot. But going through the plugin menu and adding the video for burning in the "burn DVD" plugin goes another step forward, but still, it fails. Of course I don't want to use command line tools as I then could copy it away and burn it on my PC. I want it to be simple for my family and therefor want to burn with a button on the dreambox.

Are there any better media player as it REALLY SUCKS. It took me 5 minutes to figure out how to be able to play a whole music CD inserted in the DVD-RW drive. This as it first must be added to the playlist which took a few minutes to figure out. Ok for me, but not for the family...

Thanks
/Per-Olov

oldfart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laminas 2.7 offset
Invacom Quattro LNB
Chayofa, Tenerife
DM8K
My Location
Tenerife
Try the OoZooN image (oozoon.tv) all works!!!

pos42

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000
My Location
Sweden
Ok, I will...

But I don't hear that many people use it...

All people talk about the Nabiolo image. I has many features but has a gui that fails i many ways (not a skin issue). So I found Gemini 4.5 but it not 100% happy with it. Maybe in later releases...

/Per-Olov

pos42

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000
My Location
Sweden
I will have to wait to try OoZooN until after Christmas as my wife will kill me otherwise..

Anyone that knows how to use PiP with Gemini 4.50 as there is no button for Picture In Picture?

/Peo

Replay 2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream Box 8000
500 GB Samsung HDD
Sony DVD
My Location
Dubai, U.A.E.
pos42 said:
I will have to wait to try OoZooN until after Christmas as my wife will kill me otherwise..

Anyone that knows how to use PiP with Gemini 4.50 as there is no button for Picture In Picture?

/Peo

blue button looong press :-thumbup

also this may help you regarding DVD burn..

pos42

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000
My Location
Sweden
Many Thanks. That worked.

This is a minus for the Gemini developers...

HOW should people understand that it must be a looong press on blue for PiP? Especially as there is no help or info that says a loong press will give PiP? All other Dreambox 8000 images I have tried so far has only a single press for PiP. I actually think the loong and short press should be switched in the Gemini image. WHY have a short press for config? This mean my kids will go into menus they are not ment to use.

/per-Olov

pos42

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000
My Location
Sweden
Hi

Now I have tried the OoZoon image 20091219. The function of the blue button is better than in Gemini. However.... HOW do you load the SD card from the camera with pictures... I do not want to log in with SSH and manually load the right kernel module and manually mount it....

b t w
oozoon crash if you open the media player deluxe and press yellow button... Despite that oozoon is one of the best images tried

/Peo

haji24

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate
My Location
newport
use the latest blackhole nabilo which i got on mine and works really good

pos42

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000
My Location
Sweden
I have now been the owner of my Dreambox 8000 for 15 days or so... During these days I have tried:
- Dream Multimedia std image
- Nabilo blackhole 0.12
- Gemini 4.50 and 4.60
- PLI Enigma Jade 3 20091005-6905
- OoZooN 20091204 stable and 20091219 experimental
- NewNigma2 2.8.2

I use 2 x DVB-S (not used), 2 x DVB-T plus a DVD-RW-DL Samsung 083C

The Newmigma 2.8.2 is the only image that has not caused any hanging or problems and worked flawlessly ( so far...).

Actually it is a huge difference in quality with plus for NewNigma2 2.8.2. I play media and watch DVD over cifs and nfs (avi, ts, mov, mpg4, iso and more), burn DVDs, watch pictures, use youtube, take config backups etc etc. Also I use the Media Center plugin which is way better than the default player.

I will stay on NewNigma2 2.8.2 based on my own experience and my opinion of stability and quality.

Thanks
/Per-Olov