Getting my DM500 to work

gb99190

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Satellite dishes, 1 for Freesat and 1 for French tntsat, Dreambox 500s
My Location
France
Am such a newbie that I don't even know how to post to this forum. Can you help? I have new Dreambox 500s, connecte to my neywork and am trying to get access to Sky channels but don't even know what system my DB is suing let alone how to set up ccam. All the instructions I have found so far don't appear to work. I've spent over 20 years in IT but the satellite thing is a new area for me. Help :-)

A nonymous

Reaction score
Firstly how are you trying to get Sky. Do you have a line from a pay server?

Do you have a dish pointing at 28.2e for Sky UK or are you trying to get Sky Italia on 13e or Sky Germany on 19.2e?

A common misconception about the Dreambox is that it will open channels on its own, this isn't the case.

Sky uses NDS which is a very secure encryption which is not easy to open. The only exception to this is Sky Germany which also uses Betacrypt and Nagravision.

Nano

gb99190

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
France
I have 2 satellite dishes. One pointed at the satellite for TNTSAT for French TV (not sure where that's pointing or which satellite it uses). If I connect my Dreambox to the French dish - I can scan both Astra 19.2 and Astra 2A\Eurobird and pick up over 800 channels. However the Sky channels seem to be German ones not UK. Are there other satellites for UK channels?

The other one is for UK Freesat and I'm not sure which other satellites this can pick up. Would that be better for Sky UK. I've tried using it to search Astra 2A\Eurobird but it doen't pick anything up.

Which satellite/satellite dish should I be using for Sky UK?

Thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
BSkyB and Freesat are from Astra2/Eurobird 1 at 28E. They essentially use exactly the same Channels and it is only the EPG that is different. Although clearly by definition Freesat cannot decode Encrypted Channels

You cannot get both Astra 1 at 19.2E and Astra2/Eurobird1 at 28E on your TNT dish ............ you have fallen into the trap of assuimngn the Receiver is intelligent.

A "Satellite" as stored by a Receiver is merely a list of labels, tags and tables of parameters.

As frequencies and other parameters are re-used across the arc (Something which is possible only because you cannot receive Channels from more than one Satellite at once with a single fixed dish/LN:cool:, when you scan a "Satellite" called eg Astra 2 but with a dish aligned to Astra 1 at 19.2E, you will (and can) only get Astra 1 Channels ..... but not all of them - just those that have parameters corresponding to the pre-stored list.

Edit: TNT is at 19.2E, along with loads of FTA German Channels ..................... so that is where your dish is aligned to. Which is why when you scan the "Satellite" labelled Astra 2 you still only get German Channels.

Imagine altering the name of the "Satellite" to "The Real Satellite My Dish Is Pointing At, But With Only A Partially Corresponding Data Table" and all will be clear.

If still not sure, look at the up to date listings on eg Flysat, Lyngsat, KingofSat etc.

gb99190

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
France
That's really helpful for a sat newbie like me thanks. If I want to get Sky UK channels from the Astra 2 satellite - where does my dish have to point? Is it not possible to use the dish pointed at UK Freesat? As I have 2 fixed dishes - would it be better to get a motorised dish with multiple LNB.s?

To check which satellites I can use on my 19.2E aligned dish or my Freesat UK aligned dish - I can check the online listings in your previous reply?

Ta.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As explained above, Sky and Freesat are (essentially) the same Channels from the same position - 28E (Comprising Astra2/Eurobird1).

ie The Dish you use for Freesat is also the one to use for BSkyB

Also as explained above, you can only get 19E Channels from 19E and 28E Channels from 28E with your current dishes.

If you want other Satellites, you need either a motorised dish or a dish with a multi-LNB bracket. But it rather depends upon what other Satellites you want to get and what your interests are.

gb99190

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
France
Thanks again for your help with this. If I read u right - the dish I have pointed at UK Freesat should be able to get BSkyB channels from the UK (Sky UK)? I've just swapped over the dish connection to the Freesat one and it now looks like it's scanning Bskyb channels. Is there an easy way to clear out all the old channels that it picked up when scanning the Astra 1 satellite? I have a Dreambox DM500s with the Open|PLI image as the Gemini one knackered my receiver!

Also some advice on editing Fline and Cline entries in the CCam config would be very useful. My Dreambox can see the Internet as the menu download works. But not sure how the DynDns thing works. I've registered for the free-ip and added my ISP Ip address and installed the DynDNS client on my laptop on the same network as the Dreambox but am unsure as to how the Dyndns client works with the Dreambox which is of course a separate machine with a different IP address to the laptop. Is the fact that the ISP IP address is registered enoiugh as all machines on my network connecfted to the internet appear as that address?

Sorry for so many questions. I spent 25 years as an IT consultant but this satellite thing is a different world! :-)