ghosting

llss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500 ci super 80 c m dish diseque 1.2 superjack motorised system dragon celebro cas 3
My Location
northumberland
hi i installed w b aerial in really bad reception area yesterday (its that bad you have choice of two main transmitters in north east but ghosting was occuring whilst linneing up to each transmitter independantly which was anoying. the customer was also wanting freeview. so i then peaked up the aerial on the digital muxs on pontop pike ,which was fine and unbelivably the anolouge pictures of the other transmitter bilsdale came in mint could nt belive it . you have to bear in mind bilsdale broadcastas from bottom of the band group a and pontop pike broadcasts from top of the band group c d . these transmitters are quite far apart as well . even if i had used group aerials and diplexer it still would of had ghosting . does this happen down south

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
llss said:
does this happen down south

Unfortunately I'm North of your location but it sounds like you got a result - great.

Sometimes, I think, ghosting on analogue pictures is more acceptable that the break-up that happens on digital!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Ghosting is to do with terrain, not other transmitters, as they transmit on different frequencies. In weak reception areas, low lying areas or areas surrounded by tall buildings, it is the reflected signal reaching the TV a fraction after the main signal which causes the ghosting, over amplification can also add to the problem. In very strong signal areas and in tall buildings, ghosting can also appear on the left of the picture, this is due to secondary signal entering the up or down cable, therefor reaching the TV before the primary (intended) signal.

Had one down in Tilbury docks which received a strong signal from Crystal Palace which ever way the aerial was pointed, the analogue signal was unwatchable, but the digital signal came in with accepable snr and bit error rate.

llss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500 ci super 80 c m dish diseque 1.2 superjack motorised system dragon celebro cas 3
My Location
northumberland
rolf its a bit of a laceing somtimes in this area a place called blyth in northumberland , is renound for serious ghosting they use to blame it on a near by power station but thats gones now , their is no tall builings either , just dont no what could be causeing it but a least he can get digital . i have been warned by other installers which they seem to back heel ,i might of just found the answer with the w b aerial but i will not hold me breath, lol