Just Sharing This GoDaddy Started to Charge Taxes

A

Archive7

I have two domains registered with GoDaddy. One domain is due today for renewal, but when I made the order, I noticed that they have added 22% to the total as taxes.
I initiated a chat and I was told that GoDaddy collects taxes and send the money to the respective government!!!
Link below
https://il.www.godaddy.com/help/countries-in-which-godaddy-is-collecting-taxes-24731
Since I live in Israel, I will not be able to get back the taxes presumably VAT mainly.
But if my registrar is located in Israel then my accountant would be able to get it back.
I think this is another example of how my government tries to extract more money from "the people".
Unfortunately I left this renewal to the last minute as the domain expires today.
The taxes are not a big deal less than $10 for both domains, but I am really upset with this additional fee.
I can understand paying tax to ICANN and have paid for years.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I don't believe this is a new thing at all, nor is it related to one domain registration/renewal site .

If you are a business operating overseas from the supplier you an ask them for a VAT exemption certificate, or when you sumbit your accounts to your equivalent of our tax office you should get it back a few weeks later.

If you are renewing as an individual or consumer then the value added tax has always been part of the total price, only it might now be listed as a separate item in the bill to save having both a trade and a consumer section on their website

A

Archive7

In case the link above is broken, here is the uk URL
Countries in which GoDaddy is collecting taxes | Account Management - GoDaddy Help GB
The tax charges is quite new.
There is no way that I can get the tax back it is just one way.
Daylight robbery in my opinion.
The girl from the chat had the nerve to suggest that I change my country to a different one that pays less tax and I told her I am not going to cheat the system by lying.
I am going to leave GoDaddy and will look for a different registrar as soon as possible

A

Archive7

I am looking for domain registrar instead of GoDaddy.
Which one would you recommend from the list below?
1 - enom
2 - namecheap
3 - dreamhost
or any other registrar you are happy with.
Thanks.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Much of a muchness. All of them have sign up incentives that evaporate soon after

What is wrong with GoDaddy, apart from your latest issue ?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
In case the link above is broken, here is the uk URL
Countries in which GoDaddy is collecting taxes | Account Management - GoDaddy Help GB
The tax charges is quite new.
There is no way that I can get the tax back it is just one way.
Daylight robbery in my opinion.
The girl from the chat had the nerve to suggest that I change my country to a different one that pays less tax and I told her I am not going to cheat the system by lying.
I am going to leave GoDaddy and will look for a different registrar as soon as possible

You havent read my post then. Unless Go Daddy has been found to be violating the rules previously to gain customers, VAT has to be charged regardless of whether it is a consumer or business. The only difference has been the itemising of the bill and how you might be able to get a refund from your local tax office.

A

Archive7

I want to try other registrars.
The renewal for my domain is 100% more than what other registrars charge, and this tax issue has been the last straw.

A

Archive7

I contacted namecheap and on live chat I asked
Q: do you add taxes apart from ICANN
A: No, we do not. We do not supply VAT documentation as we do not tax any domain purchases or value added services.

I paid for the transfer and one year renewal at 40% of what GoDaddy asked.
The transfer went well and the site is up and running now.
Then GD sent me a message please come back we will offer you 50% discount if you decide to transfer back.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
GD closing the barn door after the horse has bolted:-deadhorse