Advice Needed Good budget 1m dish

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Fibo 90 disappointed me, performance wise.. I don't know if it's because my dish was slightly warped (though I straightened it)
Bent dishes seem to be your speciality. :-rofl2

Anyway from a construction point of view they are brilliant, and mine performs pretty well. And CM's are too heavy for a DiSEqC motor.

Some aforementioned dishes may be of less than rigid construction but I don't think you could describe a 1M Gibertini as 'tin plate'....
IMO, Gibertini is the best of the dishes mentioned. Triax elevation adjustment is a terrible design and just tightening it pulls it out of alignment. But all of them are far more flimsy than the Fibo.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset

Yes :( Still, can't grumble for the price I paid for them... my next large dish will be a fibre glass one!

But all of them are far more flimsy than the Fibo.

Fibo 90 is at advantage because it has a fairly decent and sturdy 'Y' bracket on the back, which seems to strengthen the dish. Didn't help me but it does have an upper hand over others in this respect.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France

Someway to catch up to AS though.....maybe CJ hasn't access to a lot of skips...

simon 2003

Reaction score
ive got a 90cm fibo ,they say they punch above there weight but im not sure ,the lnbs bug me as well as not enough choice with c120s ive tried the inverto and invacom were ok ,but didnt touch the 40mm converted to c120 black ultra single i had,but with a twin feed the design has changed and it fouls the feedarmim thinking of putting a 110 aluminum triax up

id agree with above the build quality of a fibo is second to none
but at the end of the day its a 90cm dish and real estate matters so wont be equal to a 110 cm like is often said about them

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
the lnbs bug me as well as not enough choice with c120s ive tried the inverto and invacom were ok ,but didnt touch the 40mm converted to c120 black ultra single
Just cut off the feed and the IBU fits straight in the Fibo wave guide. No need to convert to C120. Mine does out perform a typical 90cm dish.

simon 2003

Reaction score
yes no doubt would outperform any 90cm ,not just because they measure as good as 1m top to bottom,but wouldnt compare to a half decent 11ocm IMO ,
dont really want to cut feed arm off what is IBU is this the reflector on the feed arm

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
IBU - Inverto Black Ultra LNB.

nasals

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu Uno+
Dual tuner module
Master Focus/Fibo 90
Darkmotor Supreme
Inverto C120 black Pro
1.2m prime focus, v-box
Inverto C120 black pro
My Location
London
For what it's worth I replaced a wind damaged 1m Gibertini with a Fibo 90. Initial performance with a Inverto black C120 single was about the same as the Gibertini which was fitted with an IBU. Now I have a machined IBU fitted into the waveguide of the Fibo 90 it outperforms the old 1m dish and is almost as good as my old 1.2m PF dish. I'd say that the Fibo 90 seems to match a 1.1m dish given the right LNB and setup.

Tony1A

Never going back to Sky TV. Ever!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
I've just bought a 1m Gibby from Germany :)

simon 2003

Reaction score
For what it's worth I replaced a wind damaged 1m Gibertini with a Fibo 90. Initial performance with a Inverto black C120 single was about the same as the Gibertini which was fitted with an IBU. Now I have a machined IBU fitted into the waveguide of the Fibo 90 it outperforms the old 1m dish and is almost as good as my old 1.2m PF dish. I'd say that the Fibo 90 seems to match a 1.1m dish given the right LNB and setup.
Hi yes i did this with a black ultra LNB from a user called Trust in holland he did one for me and was excellent with the fibo,,unfortunatly the weather got into it and it started to pixelate on some TP'S ,then i bought a solo 2 receiver and needed a twin feed but the black ultra twin is a different design and fouls the feedarm so i had an octagan twin machined off him also as they are the horizontal type design ,but this didnt seem any better than the invacom C120 i had in the interim ,thats why im getting fed up with the fibo really ,costing me a fortune in LNB'S,I havent been able to match the performance of a black ultra machined and fitted in the waveguide with any twin ive had,thats a machined octagan twin ,a c120 inverto twin and the invacom twin .

Last edited:

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Personal opinion is there is nothing special about the Inverto Black Ultra twin. Also if it fouls the lnb arm turn it upside down.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Also if it fouls the lnb arm turn it upside down.

Wouldn't that get in the way of the signal between the main reflector and the sub-reflector?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Not really. Path is top of main-reflector to bottom of sub-reflector, and bottom of main-reflector to top of sub-reflector. If it blocked anything at all it would only be a couple of square inches right at the bottom of the main reflector where it is least efficient anyway. To know for sure all you need to do is rest a straight edge from the bottom of the main to the top of the sub. And anyway even if it did block a couple of square inches, the dish face has a total capture area of more than 1000 square inches, so you are looking at 0.2% of the total which if you convert it to dish radius amounts to losing less than 0.5mm of dish radius.

nasals

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu Uno+
Dual tuner module
Master Focus/Fibo 90
Darkmotor Supreme
Inverto C120 black Pro
1.2m prime focus, v-box
Inverto C120 black pro
My Location
London
@simon 2003

Yes water ingress was a problem on the first IBU conversion I had in place so mark 2 was improved with an O ring which sealed in the same way as the original C120 flange where fitted into the Fibo horn. See attached pic. Another problem with machining IBU's is that you can easily knock the DRO out. For this reason the mk2 version was machined upright in a vertical mill and only a single scalar ring was machined away from the factory cast LNB. This allowed a simple adaptor to be made and bonded in place. A white nylon adaptor was also made and bonded in place between the outer old scalr ring and new adaptor to make the entire unit more robust. The original black case was given several coats of white enamel spray pain and put back on the keep temps down in sunlight. It all works pretty well but it's a lot of hassle as you say.
fepyFtF.jpg

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Looks like a lot of over engineering. All you need to do is cut the feed off the IBU and pop it in the Fibo feed. It's a size fit, and a bit of self amalgamating tape keeps the weather out.

Fibo-Black-Ultra.jpg

simon 2003

Reaction score
ok thanks for the input,never thought of upside down what would be a good twin feed lnb with a fibo in your veiw ??

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland