Gothenburg Help Needed!!!

Curlyshirley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
75cm, Amstrad 550
My Location
Gothenburg
Hello there:-googly

Is there anyone with any contacts in the Gotheburg area who can help me set up my dish to get all the sky stuff. I just bought an Amstrad 550 and have set up a dish but not got it aligned yet - It is only 75cm - Does anyone think I will be able to get the signal on this size of dish?

If I need to get a bigger dish can anyone recommend which one is best for m location. I actually picked up Astra on a Canal+ dish I tried to install (couldn't get Thr cos of a tree in the way!) but I think it was probably the Astra 1 on 19.2.

At the moment the dish is pointing in the right direction (not perfectly measured though) and rotates through a sequence of the lock being on with 75% strength but no network ID then it disappears, then I get 50% quality and 25% strength - It then starts again and just keeps doing this no matter how I turn the dish really - Any ideas.... Anyone....

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
You need at least a good quality 120cm dish to start off with.

Not some cheap Neptunsat 120cm dish, you need a good dish.

I am not familiar with Gothenburg as it's weaker than Stockholm on Astra 2D.

stammerman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD box - Thomson
Sky Digibox - Pace 2600 C1

Panasonic DMR-BS750 - Freesat/PVR/Blu-Ray

1.8m Channel Master
QDF-031 Quad LNB 0.3dB C120
CM Feedhorn
My Location
Gothenburg, Sweeeden
Hi!

If it is just the Sky channels, you should be able to get most of them with a bigger dish 1.0-1.2m, but if you also want BBC/ITV you need to be looking at a minimum of 1.8m.

Without the proper tools it takes a lot of time and patience to align the dish correrctly, so I would recommend get this done professionally. Since 1993 I've been using Antenn Huset TV-MAN (031-293280) in Frolunda for all my dish installs, so it's worth giving them a call.

Cheers,

Martin

Curlyshirley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
75cm, Amstrad 550
My Location
Gothenburg
Yes I have them booked in already for mid Jan just in case I couöldn't sort it out - However they say they dont do dishes that are larger 2m ones. Anyone know where is best for dishes in gbg? I quickly looked on Blocket and Tradera this monring but nada. Anyone know where 2nd hand ones can be bought from?

Cheers and Merry Xmas to all:-MrsC

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Curlyshirley said:
Yes I have them booked in already for mid Jan just in case I couöldn't sort it out - However they say they dont do dishes that are larger 2m ones. Anyone know where is best for dishes in gbg? I quickly looked on Blocket and Tradera this monring but nada. Anyone know where 2nd hand ones can be bought from?

Cheers and Merry Xmas to all:-MrsC

Contact Bengt Arne Jöckert at Parabolic AB in Kungsbacka.

They used to manufacture large dishes up to 6 meter back in the 90's.

He can always help you as he imports larger dishes also.

www.parabolic.se

Curlyshirley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
75cm, Amstrad 550
My Location
Gothenburg
you are a star - thank you

saint

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
gothenburg
hi all in Göteborg
I have had sky for several years now , and its all picked up on a normal 80cm dish on the roof , proffessionally installed , no problems .
The bugger is that if you want the Beeb and Itv , then u need a much bigger dish . I know of someone that gets these on a 1.5m dish with a perfect set up living on the nearby islands , and someone else on Hisingen gets these on a 1.8m dish . Unfortunatly i have a forrest at the end of the garden , so i,m stuck with what i got .
anyway , properly set up u could get Sky on your 75cm dish . thats the cheapest and easiest first step !

good luck and let us know if you suceed with BBC & ITV.

Curlyshirley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
75cm, Amstrad 550
My Location
Gothenburg
Thanks for the info - The chap at the "Parabol" shop in Gamlestaden is coming tonight to try and get the signal for me - He said he gets it on a 75cm from Sirusgatan which is right next door to me - but no BBC or ITV I think. Hopefully I can get 2a & b on the 75cm and he even said he thought he got BBC but not really holding out hope on that one - If it does work though I will seriously consider getting a 1.2m from them and trying to get the beeb and ITV in then.

Will keep you posted!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You need to remember that the BBC & ITV channels are transmitted on the Astra 2D satellite and this one has different transmission characteristics to the other sats at 28E. (theres 4 satellites utilising 8 different transmission coverage areas between them.) Astra 2D has a coverage area spotted reasonably tightly onto the UK - the others are pan European coverage.

Curlyshirley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
75cm, Amstrad 550
My Location
Gothenburg
Hi all,

An update - The great chap from the "Parabol" shop got me 2a & b sorted but my Freesat card isnt being recognised (probably cos it is the old blue one? I am not sure) It worked in the UK till May 05 then I cancelled it but left it with the sky box at the flat I rented. I got the card back since but it don't wanna work!

Nice "Parabol" man is gonna see if he can get BBC and ITV on his 1m dish, if he does then I will buy one, but for now my 75 will do. Will probably need to buy a new Freesat card though!

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
Leave the card in the box for a day or so, it should come back to life. It will have missed its 'stay alive' signals.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Only it it's the yellow house type, if it is an old one, then it is of no use, also the box needs a software update if it hasn't been used for two years..

bodge

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Curlyshirley said:
Hi all,

An update - The great chap from the "Parabol" shop got me 2a & b sorted but my Freesat card isnt being recognised (probably cos it is the old blue one? I am not sure) It worked in the UK till May 05 then I cancelled it but left it with the sky box at the flat I rented. I got the card back since but it don't wanna work!

Nice "Parabol" man is gonna see if he can get BBC and ITV on his 1m dish, if he does then I will buy one, but for now my 75 will do. Will probably need to buy a new Freesat card though!

He hasn't got a hope with a 1 metre dish in Gothenburg. It amazes me how little these installers know about Astra 2 D.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
bodge said:
He hasn't got a hope with a 1 metre dish in Gothenburg. It amazes me how little these installers know about Astra 2 D.

Agree,it's not possible.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
bodge said:

Not surprising as their antenna 1 and antenna 2 certifications does only cover small dish installs and most of the installers have only installed small Viasat or Canal Digital dishes.

The old school installers in my country anyway are gone most of them.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Why don't you contact the company i gave you instead?

They know what they are talking about and has been manufacturing their own large dishes since the early 80's but closed down all manufacturing when all these small dishes arrived on the market.

Curlyshirley said:
Hi all,

Curlyshirley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
75cm, Amstrad 550
My Location
Gothenburg
Hi,

I contacted everyone who was recommended to me including parabolic and they all said minimum 2 meters and I live on a 3rd floor apartment so my balcony can't take that size! From all the forum reading I have been doing I guess it will be 1.8 minimum in gbg before I can get bbc or itv, which at present is not an option - My card is now getting all the free channels it should (apart from the 2d ones). Thanks everyone for all your advice :)

mr scaramanga

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox
My Location
UK
Hi All,

Am just in the process of moving to GOT (hisingen), and about to set up SKY... Unfortunately i'm being advised that i need a 2.4m dish, which has to be installed on the ground due to the size/weight...

Can't justify it myself... but real shame as i would've liked to receive the BBC/ITV. does anyone have a list of channels that i would lose by going for the smaller dish ?

SOrry to be a pain, have searched the web but not finding a definitive list anywhere...

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Thats right it is not possible to compile a list as all fringe reception produces dead spots and hot spots, if you want to find out more why not do a search of the forums on here for the word Sweden for example and if that is not enough click here and have a read