Grammar, Pronunciation - Time for a rant.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
Grammar, Pronunciation - Time for a rant.

OK, no doubt this has been done countless times before, but don't you find it increasingly annoying that we are inventing a new language with new meanings and pronunciations that really ought to be laughed out of the English language, rather than adopted by it? - I certainly do. I am no English graduate, and only had a basic education, but when people suddenly start using phrases such as:-

It’s a big ask,” where “It’s a difficult target,or “It’s a big thing to ask,” would be far better English – it’s makes my blood boil. When I was at school ‘ask’ was a verb – not a noun!

The infuriating thing is that these ‘buzz words and phrases’ are being endorsed and used by the very people in the media and advertising, who have had the education to know better and who should be maintaining the standards and setting an example to us all.

I turn on the TV to hear ‘minimum spend’ where I used to hear ‘minimum purchase’. I do know what the word purchase means.

I don’t know whether you have noticed recently, but there seems to be a current metamorphosis of the word ‘sixth’, which it would appear, is now acceptably pronounced - sickth. Just put ITV’s F1 on, on a Sunday afternoon and you will here James Allen (a keen exponent of this slicker version of the word), describing several of the drivers throughout the afternoon as being ‘down in sickth’! If he tries to pronounce it correctly, will the driver be in fifth by the time he’s said it?

You used to be kidding me, or joking. Now all of a sudden you’re joking me. What?

I could go on – but I won’t. Yes, words have been invented over the years to facilitate our ever changing society – I don’t have a problem with that. Nor is this a dig at the informal blogger. We are all members of that liberating clan. But if I worked in the media industry, I would take a little more care to ensure that what I was writing or saying was correct. It’s time that these people put a stop to their casual desecration of the English language, or we will all soon be speaking a foreign language.

Please contribute any material that you think has no place in our language.

Regards,

Yorks.:)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
"Brown praises Bush ahead of the meeting". Ugly syntax - my pet hate at the moment. All media use it.

What was wrong with 'before'?

Llew

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
It's the americans, they don't know how to talk proper... :D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
My pet hate is the way many people now finish every sentence as if it were a question.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Arghhhhhhhhh:-HB,

Don't start me off again. I'm currently coaching my 11 year old daughter to ditch that habit, before it get's a grip. To be fair to her, she does see the funny side of it when I bring it to her attention.:p

Apparently it's called HRT (High Rise Terminals), and is very popular with our Australian cousins, as you know.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, it certainly niggles me. :)

My Mum's pet hate is the use of "different to", rather than "different from", I am irritated by the use of the phrase so and so alluded to , when they didn't allude to it they made a direct reference to it. :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
In a similar vein - 'of' in place of 'with' - "bored of", "fed up of" etc.

And how many times do you see 'loose' in place of 'lose' ( in referring to something lost)?

Lightening in place of lightning has been noted many times, even in newspaper headlines.

Using 'it's' for 'its' and vice versa is so widespread, we can assume it's now OK to use either form.

Llew

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Well we have the same problems here in Sweden.

And I blame it on the Yankies :)

I am sure I should blame it on the school

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Llew said:
Using 'it's' for 'its' and vice versa is so widespread, we can assume it's now OK to use either form.
Llew

Yes. You're right Llew. I remember my son telling me recently that he has been told that either is now acceptable when writing formal business reports. Source - University.
:-Nooo

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
What really niggles me is the use of phrases such as " yuh know". They seem to occupy 50% of some people's conversation :mad: .

Unfortunately when something like this niggles you, every instance is noted 'O'-red

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I've noticed presenters using 'gonna' instead of going to. A number of incidents lately on BBC Breakfast.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Silent H's, as in 'istoric, and the grammar altered to correct, as in 'an 'istoric occasion'.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I suppose I should argue the case for the defence.

We all agree that the primary function of language is to communicate a message or intention. Variety in structure of language is merely an attempt by speakers to be better understood, and to be more concise. If speakers are indeed better understood, that is good communication.

A good example of this is txt speak. Wth v lil frt u r bl 2 rd ths sntnce - therefore, it serves the function of communication.

I will conceed though that having a standard grammar is extremely important, but the standard is only what speakers agree upon now, and is able to change to suit speakers.

Now having said all that, I've have noticed the recent sloppy spelling of official news sources on the web, which doesn't give a good impression when you're relying on accurate information.

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
Prime example of this is the welsh language, look where they are now. They speak english more so than Welsh.

There is an advert on e4 i think it is. it messes about with how words are spelt for example.

P.M - Pee Em
Thursday - Fursdey
Galaxy - Ghalixy

Etc.

But if we had the internet 300 years ago we would be saying

Where for art thoug Lnb, what is in thy Dreambox? Why, that's my dainty Dish! I shall miss thee.

You get the idea, what im saying though is we evolve. And the language we speak today is not TRUE english.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, of course language evolves, as we have to invent new words/phrases as technology and life changes. These annoying things are in the main nothing to do with the evolution of language though, they are mostly down to laziness, ignorance or affectation, perhaps all three on occasions.

How about the use of innit at the end of every sentence by some, that has nothing to do with evolution, but is certainly bloody irritating. :)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I blame the youts of today. In my day, ........

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
rolfw said:
How about the use of innit at the end of every sentence by some, that has nothing to do with evolution, but is certainly bloody irritating. :)

'innit' is meant to be confirmation of understand ("do you understand what I am saying?"), but I have to admit it does become bloody annoying when people go OTT with it :p.

Also, you have to remember that speech and sentence structure changes are you go through life. The reasons for this are unclear, but it's certainly the case that an 14yo, a 40yo, and an 80yo form setences differently.

That's why grandparents talking to teenagers is so hilarious - they don't understand a word each other are saying :-rofl2.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
I blame the 'mericans,but I've "gotten" used to it,you know ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You forgot innit zorba. :-lmao

Daku

Reaction score
The things that annoy me are:
- the American use of the word "situation" ("We have a situation here..")
- the illiterate use of 'innit' to mean everything from "aren't I", "haven't we?" to "weren't you?"
- the pronunciation of February as Febry
- the use of US-9/11-style dates for events in England ("24/7" or whenever the London attack was)
- euphemisms used purely for misguided reasons of so-called political correctness and the related, apparently successful brain-washing which has been ongoing for the past 10 years or so
- people who write their names and addresses without beginning the words with capital letters when, e.g. filling out order forms
- people (especially the French) who write their names and addresses ENTIRELY IN CAPITAL LETTERS when, e.g. filling out order forms
'O'-red