guidence for a newbe!

sohail579

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY HD...Quad Core 3.4ghz PC...HP DataVault Server... Draytek Router
My Location
Manchester
hey all

im currently looking at a dreambox 8000.. i have done a lot of reading over the past few days and there is a lot of information to take in... one thing that i have noticed is that as soon as you guys are getting the dreambox's you seem to flash the image with another.. is this a must? why is it that you need to change the image from the original? is it just usability?

also for all the users of the 8000.. is it money well spent? I can see that it does a lot compared to other systems so is the money justified? is the 8000 future proof!!?

thanks for the info!!

redout

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish with Motek 2100,
DM 500 & DM 800HD, Vu+ Duo,
Digital+, Sky+, TDT, Saorview
My Location
Dublin
From what I have seen the Dreambox 8000 is the daddy of all sat receivers.

If it wasnt for the massive price I honestly believe that we would all have one.

I have no idea if Dream are working on a successor but the 8000 is out about 18 months.

If you are buying one avoid a UK dealer as the cheapest I have seen is about £999 - German shops doing them for €879

D

deleted

images for different boxes change and can vary, but most run the same way with the diference being addons menu setup and so on some images are comparible to others and can run faster, but all in all they are all simillar, best to look at latest version for your box + updates if you wish.

gulli

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised with dreambox
My Location
south west england
Hi There
UK dealers are doing it for £879 and yes, apart from the price it is a dream!! - excuse the pun. 1. If something goes wrong there is an straightforward way to recover. 2. I still like to run with a simple flash image and then use backups from a USB stick that I add and subtract things as needed.3. The DE image is OK as flash and can be added to, but has already corrupted on mine at bootup stage but reflashing again by browser works a treat and takes all info from last used BU image if you havent backed up by DCC or DB edit. 4. I am running mine on the latest PeterPan image and also have a full backup image on Gemini. Both work really well, have online support and some very attractive skins. One tiny irritation with PP is that when you reboot subtitles come on automatically - just need switching of. Good Luck - Gulli