h d future

llss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500 ci super 80 c m dish diseque 1.2 superjack motorised system dragon celebro cas 3
My Location
northumberland
H D whats going to happen , o k sky new h d digi box is near , but whats going to happen with freeview , free sat ? anbody know whats in the future.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No chance of proper HDTV on DTT Freeview for the forseeable future due to lack of capacity. There are some tests due to occur in the London area sometime soon, but thats it.

Freesat - the BBC test transmissions have been fta to anyone with the right kit to get them, but what will happen in the future - who knows .

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think that the BBC and other Freeview broadcasters probably have come to the same conclusion that I and many others have and that is that there will only be a top end demand for HDTV in the next few years.:)

llss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500 ci super 80 c m dish diseque 1.2 superjack motorised system dragon celebro cas 3
My Location
northumberland
yeah its definatley good and the future, its good listening to people buying h d televisions which is a good investment , but unless they buy sky h d then it losses its capeabiluity , as an aerial sat insaller i must admit i dont know much about hd .

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
One thing purchasers need to be aware of is which TVs will be up to showing HD material. 'HD ready' doesn't necessarily mean that a TV will be capable of 1080 lines. When you look around the big stores who are demoing these TVs, they are all showing pre-recorded stuff by DVD and no OTA programmes.

I like gadgets but HD is way in the future for me.

llss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
northumberland
yes i agree , people see these demos and expect instant improvement in picture clearness quality but thats not the case , a h d decoder is required when available which the public doesnt understand .

llss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
northumberland
so sky is only going to be compatible with h d when the new decoder comes avaiable , will we have to use different cable i don t know will ct 100 be good enough . any body know, i dont

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
llss said:
so sky is only going to be compatible with h d when the new decoder comes avaiable , will we have to use different cable i don t know will ct 100 be good enough . any body know, i dont

Existing distribution equipment should still be fine (if working now!), lnb, dish, amps, cables, multiswitches, etc.

(that's assuming Sky HD will be from same orbital position, not a different satellite, ha ha ha!).

The transmission method is exactly the same, it's just that the picture uses mpeg4 compression (so you need a new sat receiver!).

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
:) Not if you have an SS2 :-snowman

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
It's not obvious how Sky will "launch" their HDTV. A Sky installer is required for 1st time installation, but once you've already got a dish - with HD presumably from existing transponders - would a further installer visit be needed, except for new subscribers without dishes?
Maybe so, since most people aren't technology minded, and might have trouble connecting a new receiver, even if it's just a few leads. I suppose Sky will still want to know the equipment's been certified as connected and working. On the other hand, it would cost them less to deliver receivers by courier.

Don't know if I entirely agree with Rolf. CRT televisions are now getting more difficult to find - in "watchable" screen sizes - so many people will be buying LCD/Plasma etc. Then, once you've got a DVI/HDDI input, and already have a dish, it's a small step to get a HD receiver for films/sports etc, especially if Sky offer an attractive "package upgrade" via their subsidies.

(regardless of what can actually be seen on 720p vertical screen resolution!).

llss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
northumberland
do you think sky h d will be popular

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
llss said:
do you think sky h d will be popular

Only for folks with loads of money. Theres got to be a premium subscriber cost for the first few years.

Theres also the problem of several million existing setups wired like mine via the rf aerial cables and the viewers are perfectly happy with the picture quality. Ive got all sorts of kit cross wired with rf cables and cant see any significant advantage of digging out the scart cables..... HDTV salesmen hate viewers like me :D

llss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
northumberland
yeah i agree , night mare to some people , i think our industry now is really taking of fast ,technology is getting good and taking a lot of thinking for the installer lol