Hacked off at the price, receiver's, TV's, PVR's you name it

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Well, I don't have any 'Room Fragrance' at home [read: code word for mature content smelling salts] - but, pray, by what name do these Macro_tralala toys go by ..... *cough*.

I have a circuit diagram for one - but can't be ass'd to build it, LOL.

Now, I really do need one (sic) so I can slim down on the plastic and space that these VHS buggers take up.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Search ebay for macrovision, they sell for around £30.

satscaner

We Are The Supreme Beings
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M prime focus with SA58 H-H
receiver-New Wave 9000 BP MK II
My Location
hampshire
I've found this Website that explains more about Macrovision for those of you who want to know a bit more about it.

R

Rd100

I do not think the price of tv's etc is ott the sony 32inch ctr i brought a few years back cost over £1000 and i just brought the new model sony lcd 32inch for £700 from tesco

You can also get cheaper lcd's 26 inch £350 from argos and £450 for 32 inch

You can also pick up a twin tuner DTT pvr for about £100ish now aswell

satscaner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
hampshire
I think this one is going to go on & on & on

The best deal I saw was at www.novatech.co.uk last year, they were doing a un-branded 32" lcd that was HD ready for £600, I dont know what they have on special offer at the moment

I've seen the DTT PVR's in the WHAT TV & VIDEO mag very nice. I'd have to get one that would let me write onto disk though

satscaner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
hampshire
well the RF modulator project has gone well.

I ended up removing a second modulator from and old matsui RD 600 analogue receiver as I could not get the first one from a grundig GDS200/1 to work. The only difference between them is the number of connections they have, the grundig has 8 and the matsui has 5.

The connections on the modulator from the matsui are marked up as follows-

1. V - Video
2. A - Audio
3. MB - 0-+5V switching for modulator. If the receiver was in standby I found this to be at 0V. when the receiver was switched out of stand by it went to 5V.
4. NC - this was not used in the receiver. Ive not used it.
5. BB - +5V antena loop-through/pass-through.

How I built it
The power supply was going to be built to the diagram on this website but I made a few changes to it. I did not fit an LED and I used a slightly different capacitor because I could not find one that was of the same value shown in the diagram.

3 & 5 on the modulator are connected to a +5V supply, the shassi go's to ground.
The video & audio go to 1 & 2.

Now that I've got it working I plan to put it into a small terminal box & stick the componets onto a circuit board just to tidy it up. This picture shows you what it is like at the moment.
View attachment 9287
Good luck if you try it & if you need some advise let me know I might be able to help.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
satscaner said:

I ended up removing a second modulator from and old matsui RD 600 analogue receiver as I could not get the first one from a grundig GDS200/1 to work. The only difference between them is the number of connections they have, the grundig has 8 and the matsui has 5.

The connections on the modulator from the matsui are marked up as follows-

1. V - Video
2. A - Audio
3. MB - 0-+5V switching for modulator. If the receiver was in standby I found this to be at 0V. when the receiver was switched out of stand by it went to 5V.
4. NC - this was not used in the receiver. Ive not used it.
5. BB - +5V antena loop-through/pass-through.

How I built it
The power supply was going to be built to the diagram on this website but I made a few changes to it. I did not fit an LED and I used a slightly different capacitor because I could not find one that was of the same value shown in the diagram.

3 & 5 on the modulator are connected to a +5V supply, the shassi go's to ground.
The video & audio go to 1 & 2.

Now that I've got it working I plan to put it into a small terminal box & stick the componets onto a circuit board just to tidy it up. This picture shows you what it is like at the moment.

Good luck if you try it & if you need some advise let me know I might be able to help.

You make it look soooo easy to make!!! :D

Just out of curiosity, is it not a Stereo modulator then?

satscaner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
hampshire
the white phono is my video output and the red is my audio. the down side is that your sound will be in mono not stereo

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
satscaner said:
the white phono is my video output and the red is my audio. the down side is that your sound will be in mono not stereo

What if I used the modulator from my dead Pace MSS300? Would that be Stereo?

satscaner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
hampshire
unfortanatly stereo is not an option with this method as you only have one audio input.
your tv my split the sound into two channels but it will still be mono as the original source of sound comes from only one channel ( the left or right audio output on the back of the DVD player)

I Dont know if the pace modulator accepts a stereo input, you would need to remove it from the receiver and have a look at the connections, I'm guesing it only has one channel.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
satscaner said:
unfortanatly stereo is not an option with this method as you only have one audio input.
your tv my split the sound into two channels but it will still be mono as the original source of sound comes from only one channel ( the left or right audio output on the back of the DVD player)

I Dont know if the pace modulator accepts a stereo input, you would need to remove it from the receiver and have a look at the connections, I'm guesing it only has one channel.

Ah, oh well, was only asking, I'll stick with my scart switch for now... :D

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
For stereo sound you'd also need a NICAM encoder, and I don't believe they're easy to get hold of/make/buy! Could always ask your local cable TV company (ah local, those were the days!)

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
satscaner said:

Hehe, nice. I like people who just get on with it.:)

Whilst a lot of new kit comes with MONO OUT on LEFT (great for your project) - you could consider making yourself a simple stereo>mono affair from three resistors :eek: Then you can hook your RF MOD to any kit.

By now, maybe you are already thinking "if I have RF, then I could hook this up to the house antenna and pipe it everywhere" LOL:)

## DEVICE L OUT o)----------[R1]-----------\ ############################
################################# \
################################# X-------------------[R3]------------- > GND
################################# /
## DEVICE R OUT o)----------[R2]-----------/ ############################

R1, R2, R3 = 10K

Basically, introduce a 10K resistor on both the LEFT and RIGHT signal (twist [edit: solder] the free ends of R1 + R2 together) - then twist [edit: solder] R3 to that junction. X is the tap point for audio to the RF MODULATOR (the other end of R3 goes to GROUND (L+R shield).

The ##### everywhere are there only because the forum dont like spaces.

satscaner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
hampshire
BarMoo said:
By now, maybe are you already thinking "if I have RF, then I could hook this up to the house antenna and pipe it everywhere" LOL:)

Hmm Interesting, I like your style

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I'm pretty sure L&R are buffered before going to the output of any equipment you are taking the audio from, in which case just connect L&R together.

Llew

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Llew said:
just connect L&R together.

Llew

Cheapskate, LOL.

Llew he's just build a great whotnot from spares and your happy for him to twist cables together. Shame on you. :-rofl2 [read: mind that's what I normally do - but i'm a lazy ass ;) ]

Better go back to my post and say SOLDER the connections, LOL.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
LOL, just saving satscaner 30p :)

You can easily verify that you're maintaining stereo in the unit you're taking the output from (or other equipment that may be connected to it) by connecting the L&R leads together. It'll prove that it doesn't cause any loss of stereo.

*satscaner -

A nice little job there m8, keep the capacitors close to the regulator when you put them on a board, or you might get some instability. And don't forget the other small value capacitor, this will stop HF interference.

Llew

satscaner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
hampshire
Im having difficulty getting hold of the low value capacitor's maplins dont have them and RS seem to have stopped stocking them.

I could try CPC or farnell but then I'd need an account with them.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
satscaner said:
Im having difficulty getting hold of the low value capacitor's maplins dont have them and RS seem to have stopped stocking them.
There should be a few in the back of the TV, near the (now redundant) SCART socket.