Hard disk transfer

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
In a similar vein to last months question of swapping files over on a laptop.

A customer with a 10G hard drive in his PC running Windows ME and having a lot of photo processing software (editing suites etc)

The hard drive has got multiple errors on it (about 12%) and three out of four or so switch ons the PC doesnt register at all.

Im assuming the drive is on its last legs rather than anything that can be patched up (I cant get any better AV software onto the drive than the Norton stuff already on it, without risking the drive failing completely)

Is there a possibility of copying everything over to a new 20GB drive, bit for bit, by having this and the other drive slaved on another PC ?

erosennin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Solar System, currently on planet earth.
My Location
The other side
I used to do that using Norton Ghost. Haven't done it for a long time now... I think that program is still available.

I'm not sure of the implications of copying a drive with bad sectors to a new one... Guess it's worth giving it a try.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I don't think Ghost will copy data off a disk with bad sectors, but something like Partition Magic should. You can then try and recover the data once on a more stable drive.